Author Topic: reticles  (Read 332 times)

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
reticles
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »
I am not at all against the "long range reticles" but I wonder how many hunters really need one? Kind of like the "I'll get this in case I ever get to hunt out west some day" thought process. Hey, if you can use one go for it or even just want one it's not wrong. I was guilty at one time but now I buy for my normal needs. I hunt woods and I prefer a heavier reticle. 100 yards is a long shot most places here. With a heavy duplex or #4 I figure I'm good (optics wise) to at least 200 yards.

Any other thick reticle fans around?
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: reticles
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »
I hunt over some pretty long fields in NC and I've never used one.  If a deer is well over 300 yds, I just show a wee bit of daylight under the horizontal crosshair, and my bullets do just fine.  Popped two doe deer that way one afternoon last fall with my 270.  Unless everything is perfect, I don't take that type of shot.  I'd rather have a good range finder to know the yardage.  Might ask the kids to give me one for Christmas.