Author Topic: Driving to Texas  (Read 1559 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Driving to Texas
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
I just pulled into Houston 1 hour ago . 1142 miles Longmont to exit 7 on the 610 south highway in Houston .

Texas is huge , but what impresses me is Dallas and Houston are hands down the biggest cities I've ever drivin through  .

Dallas has some awsome sky scrapers , These cities begin LONG B4 you ever see them . An hour or more easy just going around them !

The heat is murderous , no kidding  :'( :'( :'( I ferried my daughter car to her ...... no AC .......... With a little luck this cold beer in front of me now will revive my long dead dried out fried head ........

I may not leave the room for a week !  :D

Did I mention it is hot ! The sun is much worse in Denver on your skin but the heat and humitity .................people actually live here believe it or not ! ;)  LOTS OF THEM

The heat apparently kills retreads buy the dozs. the roads are all covered with treads then people hit them ,get flats ...lots of them .
I even dodged a Mack truck fender in Kansas just laying inthe middle of the road .

If I can work up the nerve I will go see the USS TEXAS tommorow,shes 97 years old and the lonly super dreadnought .and see some cannons 8)

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Driving to Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »
Gary,
Welcome to Houston!  At least it's a "wet" heat. :o :-\ :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:52:35 PM »
If you drove through Dallas from Colorado to Houston, you took the long way.  But I'm sure you enjoyed the extra      1 1/2 hour with no air conditioning. :P :P :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:01:13 PM »
Houston.  Summer.  Insane.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
I just pulled into Houston 1 hour ago . 1142 miles Longmont to exit 7 on the 610 south highway in Houston .

Texas is huge , but what impresses me is Dallas and Houston are hands down the biggest cities I've ever drivin through  .

Dallas has some awsome sky scrapers , These cities begin LONG B4 you ever see them . An hour or more easy just going around them !

The heat is murderous , no kidding  :'( :'( :'( I ferried my daughter car to her ...... no AC .......... With a little luck this cold beer in front of me now will revive my long dead dried out fried head ........

I may not leave the room for a week !  :D

Did I mention it is hot ! The sun is much worse in Denver on your skin but the heat and humitity .................people actually live here believe it or not ! ;)  LOTS OF THEM

The heat apparently kills retreads buy the dozs. the roads are all covered with treads then people hit them ,get flats ...lots of them .
I even dodged a Mack truck fender in Kansas just laying inthe middle of the road .

If I can work up the nerve I will go see the USS TEXAS tommorow,shes 97 years old and the lonly super dreadnought .and see some cannons 8)

You went through Kansas to get to Houston? ??? ???  I'm terribly confused.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »
I went straight east on 70 to Salina ,then straight down to Wellington Kansas for the night . Then today I breezed on in to Houston by way of Dallas .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
Zulu
Mike here
How would you go from Denver to Huston?  I took a trip to Tulsa via Limon, CO,  Lamar, CO then to Garden City, KS, Dodge City, KS then got back on I35 near Wellington KS, for the last leg to Tulsa.  The drive from Lamar to Wellington seemed to take forever and after sundown 'it was dark'.  I found the reduced speed limits, the two lane undivided roads and side traffic to be very disconcerting as well as dangerous.  I had wanted to see Front street in Dodge City, naturally it was closed , I peeked in and it did not look like much.  If your intent is to get somewhere I think that staying on the interstate is the way to go.
Thanks
Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:34:14 PM »
I use to drive from Houston to Stratford TX-Rita Blanca Grasslands to Springfield and  Lamar Colorado-Comanche Grasslands to hunt  Prairie dogs.

Houston to Dallas on I-45.  Dallas to Amarillo on US 81 which is 4  lane divided highway without overpasses most of the way.  US 287 North into Colorado.   11 Hours in a 1981 Toyota 4x4 Pickup to Stratford.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-JQtfoWBZ6ej*DmzOV8gd

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 03:39:55 AM »
Mike and Douglas,
I guess we all have our favorite ways.  I live on the Northwest side of Houston.  I drive to Waco, catch I-35 north to Fort Worth, Highway 287 to Dumas (just North of Amarillo), then Highway 87 to Raton, NM.  Catch    I-25 and enter Colorado through Trinidad.
I would avoid Dallas area any way I could.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 03:50:46 AM »
Gary,
If you are going to catch the Battleship Texas today, you should leave early enough to see it and the San Jacinto battleground (located adjacent to the battleship) and still get out of there early enough to beat traffic.  Friday afternoon traffic can be as murderous as the heat.
The "twin sisters" cannons were used at the Battle of San Jacinto.  You can read about them in the link below.  They have never been found.  There are also a few barrels scattered around on the battlefield.  Though they have nothing to do with the battle.
Zulu

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/TT/qvt1.html

Oh wait!  Today is Saturday, not Friday. ??? ??? ???  I don't know what i was thinking. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 05:07:44 AM »
Under stand about avoiding Dallas.  Only made the trip three time and destination was the Grasslands , not Denver.  Didn't know about the Waco cut off or I would have used did it.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 07:38:23 AM »
About 200 yds. south of the battle ship is were Sam Houston finished the battle with Mexico after the Alamo, Grave yard markers there and a look out tower. You must see that.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 04:34:10 AM »
I saw the Battleship ! Also a small cemetary in the middle of a adjourning grassy area . Didnt make it to the battle memorial ,as I was near dizzy from the heat inside that ship . The engine room was closed........I wanted to see it . That ship is an on going work in proccess .

They had 35 boy scouts stay overnight on her .  :o

Iron ships and steel men .

Not sure whats going on today ? gotta call Zulu :D

ETA with all the road confusion, ....... I've decided to fly to Denver . Not really this was a shuttle mission to get my daughters car to her .

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
     Gary,   Glad to hear you got to see the Battleship Texas, a Dreadnaught!  Lucky scouts!  About this adjourning grassy area with the small cemetery, where did it go?  Were you standing on it when it left the area?

There are a few wise guys in every bunch.  I guess I'm one of them!

Tracy

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 12:50:05 AM »
I've never been in Texas, but living in Florida, I certainly understand heat and humidity.  The hottest I've been in was when I was in Zion National Park in Utah - I remember the temperature hitting over 110 during the afternoon.  Sure, it was a little drier than the heat in Fl, but that didn't keep you from noticing that you could fry an egg on your face!

I hope you enjoy the trip, Gary!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 05:02:29 AM »
Oh yea I'm having a blast ! Lots of pics of this and that , interesting foliage too . If you want a tree in Co. you go buy it at the tree store .   

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 06:27:37 AM »
Oh yea I'm having a blast ! Lots of pics of this and that , interesting foliage too . If you want a tree in Co. you go buy it at the tree store .   

Have I got a deal for you!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »
The "Big Head" convention is over.  Rocklock Bighead and Zulu Bighead Just finished several hours of patting each other on the back.  Life will never be the same. ;D
Actually, we had a great time.  Pounded a few beers and told each other all of our secrets.  He got to see a whole lot of cannons but FORGOT to bring his camera. :'(   It doesn't matter.  You've seen them before anyway.
After hearing some of the process of pouring bronze firsthand I can really appreciate what he is doing.  He didn't bring a Morko for me to see but I forgive him.  He is flying home and not checking baggage.  I can just imagine him trying to explain Morko to airport security.  "Really officer, it's just a pipe".  "What have you been smoking in it boy!" :o
At any rate, he is gone and I am more informed than I was before he got here.
Thanks Gary,
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 12:54:34 PM »
I had a swell time at the Big Head convention .  8) Zulu has some nice cannons! I'm in love with the SB barrel on a twin trail carriage , and a half scale 1841 sitting on a very sweet carriage. The mortar with the bronze patina would fool anyone the old scaly wood fits it perfect .

We had a real good time . The Bighead convention is over ..for now . ;D

I got back about 40 mins ago and got a shower ! Sitting still in the heat isnt too bad but a hoopty with no AC kinda cooks you pretty quick !

Gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 01:03:23 PM »
Galvaston was a sticky 103 today ........ I think we stayed about 15 mins . the water was nice and warm it's just too hot to do anything outside .

We just went swimming at my daughters apt. and that was refreshing . I got a picture of a cannon that was at the Battleship near by .

Tomorrow is the Alamo ...... If it's as hot as this ....god knows i'll remember it ! ;D

Gary

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 06:49:58 AM »
Rocklock,
If you are driving to San Antonio to see the Alamo as a day trip, what you'll remember is a 400 mile round trip and temperatures hotter than Houston. :o :o
Maybe your plan is to spend the night. 
Are you taking the car with no air conditioning? :'(
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 07:18:51 AM »
I made it home last night ! 70 deg cool air , ahhhhhh . ;D

We drove to San Antonio in an air conditioned truck and I flew out of San Antonio at 6:00 last night .

We saw the Alamo and the river walk , heat index 104 . We had lunch in an Irish pub named Waxxys on the river walk .

Here are some cannons I saw

It has trunions, so does that make it a Gunaide

nice looking cannon,no real info on any of these . No markings visable

Possable battle damage ?

Yea yea I know but you'll like them anyhow

My favorite cannon  ;D .

Four of my favs ! 8)

An interesting note on these guns is they only elevate to 7degres and can shoot 13 miles , This is because there was no radar and you could only fight by sight . By WWII these old coal burners where used as close support at D day . Since they could only shoot 13 miles these ships were considered expendibale as they were in range of the shore batteries . 

Here is my daugther and me at Galvaston recovering from heat stroke . We paid 8 bucks to park ,bought some water a hat and got my feet wet ....we were outs there in 15 mins .

I GOT BETTER ! ;) 

All and All Texas IS a whole other place ! Theres more Texas flags than US . Humonguss ones too , these are a very proud people and they dont mind one bit reminding you 7 times a day . I like the unity aspect of the whole Texas Thing .

DONT MESS WITH TEXAS    (I wouldnt)

Oh yea I got to see two rifles frome the battle one was Davy Crocketts and one was unknown , plus a bowie style (early no clip point) big bread knife basicly that was recovered by a Mexican and then given to ...someone who donated it to the Alamo. One Bowie was there and the scabard had the name of a Bowie .

My Daughter and her boy friend Dale bought me a US calvery saber at the Alamo gift shop .

OH yes one more of The Heir apparant to Sir William ,Duke of the Old Order 5th Regent of Longmont .

Yes this is/was my dog 'Baby' . He is chosen as you can tell from the pic ! But for now he lives in Houston .

Gary

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
Real good pics Muskie ,your girl looks a lot like you, a whole lot prettier of course.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
Nice pictures!  Seems like you had a very nice trip!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
Gary,
I've seen the term "carronade with trunnions" used many times.  Gunnade is also a proper term.  I think both are right.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
From Carronader:  "Real good pics Muskie, your girl looks a lot like you, a whole lot prettier of course."

All we can say is:  Ain't that the truth!

Tracy and Mike

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 05:09:07 PM »
Gary,
How did you get the cavalry sabre home on the airplane? ???
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 05:48:43 PM »
It was fine ,I atoldem , "NOW LOOKIE HERE YOUS GUYS !"

....I wish after they stole my BBQ sauce !

The Alamo uses UPS ! :o

7 -10 days ,,,,, soon . I'll have to buy a sacrifical watermelon ! Poor melon .

In our eternal 'whos right' go arounds Mike and Tracy have both offered opines that the blade should be as issued ....dull blunt . This is so if/when you fall off your horse you dont cut your leg off by accendent .....?

So the point must be used .

AND that Nathen Bedford Forrest (who is Forrest Gumps Great ,Great.......Grandfather .

Was gittin run down by some blue belly sword type guy on horse back who wanted to cut him in half ....or so .

Nothing ! Nathen later said that the greatcoat saved him ,and only had some bad stripes !

Apparently Nathen got tied of his striping and shot the Blue belly off his horse . He also said apparently

"all he had to do was poke me a good one "

IF I was calvery guy my sword WOULD HAVE HAD AN EDGE BIG TIME . Now then MT say "Oh these swords were not made to be used .......... so they are knuckle breakers ,wrist breakers ..... unfit for use ....blah and more blah"

Uuum....hummm , so was the bayonet on the end of my M-16 ......... but it would work just peachy in a pinch ...and after all isnt bayo fighting a pinch at best ?

I bet Custer would have given both bags of nutts for his sabers ..... and Gattling guns .

An unsharpened 'not for use sword' could proly have helped a little .... They say the NCO Marine Sword is not made to be used .......... silly boys .

The 'officer sword' Malmaduke IIRC is no good either ......... something would be better than nothing .

I think I head Mike say I can wack him on the back because it is no good . ... errr Stripe ONE !

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
Rocklock, you need to see a doctor. :D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
The originals were used back then, though they were mostly for show - carry overs from past eras.  Many of the repros are made of stainless steel so they stay looking good on your wall.  If the one you got is stainless, you may want to think twice about using it on anything, even a watermelon.  If it's a better steel (preferably a high carbon steel), then have at it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzV6J3SQ8Qs