Author Topic: New info on CX4 Storm  (Read 1701 times)

Offline tanuki

• Trade Count: (0)
New info on CX4 Storm
« on: November 10, 2003, 01:32:45 PM »
:roll:
I got a call from Beretta again this morning. Seems my dealer called them and really fired them up about the lack of the two rear mounting holes to the pictinny rail. Don't know exactly what was said to them but it evidentially shook them up enough to call me. I was told that the pictinny rails would not be available until the first quarter of 2004, maybe. They also said that they are just as confused and upset about the situation as are their customers. According to Jenifer, they have sent the factory numerous letters and emails asking what is going on and have, as of today, received nothing back. They also infomed me that when the rails come in, they will have instructions included for drilling/tapping the holes by the owner or any qualified gunsmith without affecting the warranty. Hmmmmmm....... They also said that no holes will be drilled or tapped without the rails (guess they don't even know the spacing, size location, etc).
Anyway, no sense in beating a dead horse over this. I guess I'll just wait till the rails come in and go from there.  :)  :lol:  :wink:

Offline lcdhs

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 01:08:33 PM »
After some unreturned phone calls in the last two days, I contacted a Les Lucas, a supervisor in the repair department.  He said, inside the upper assembly are two knockouts to punch holes in the upper (as you would on an electrical outlet box when wiring your home). Obtain an after-market picitinney rail, place on the upper assembly, place screws into the rear holes and fasten them on with a nut.  Now who in their right mind is going to put a nut into the upper assembly? Even if the bolt/carrier could possibly travel back and forth, a nut could work loose & jam the action. I guess you just screw the nut into the plastic assembly until it digs in far enough since there is no hard point. Ya think a lockwasher and a wingnut would work? Seems like a wrong answer to me. He was willing to have the holes punched & send the CX4 back to me... another wrong answer.  When mentioning the ads regarding the accessories, he said that was a marketing issue. This guy went on to say that there was nothing to drill & tap, and the threaded hole at the front was to enable the proper lining up of the rail. The reason behind the punch holes were so the upper assembly wouldn't have any exposed set screws (like you have on top of a rifle before you install a scope base); he continued to say there was nothing to Drill & Tap. When asked, he gave me the name of a General Manager named Christopher Merrett.I was too pissed to continue the conversation today. I told this supervisor(?) to punch nothing until further word from me. Any suggestions on who else to contact? I really don't trust these people to give me a straight answer.

Offline tanuki

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 10:03:22 PM »
THis is really getting strange! I'm just about ready to call Beretta in Italy to find out what in the world is going on. I'll call that Merrit character on the 12th and find out what is going on. There is one fella on here that was told to send the gun in and it will be drilled and tapped (I was told the same), then I was told something different. This is really beginning to piss me off. Will let you know what transpires with my phone calls.  :x

Offline tanuki

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 09:49:52 AM »
Had a long conversation with the folks @ Beretta Italy last night concerning this CX4 Storm fiasco. First Italy. Spoke with a person who is one of the team in charge of the CX4 project. He speaks english very well and seems like a nice person. According to him, the rails are on the dock waiting for customs approval to import. He expects the rails to be ready for sale in 30-60 days but is still dependent upon US Customs. He said the first quarter of CY04 would be a safer bet. He did apologize for the delay in the accessories and they are doing their best to meet the demands. What more could I say? :cry: ! As for the fiasco about the mounting holes, yes the "Nut & Bolt" application is a fact. He said that the holes are there but are covered by the film of the outer coat. He told me to look under the top of the upper receiver and look for some "knockouts". I did and they are there. From what he told me, all you have to do is knock out the holes, cut away the film from the outside of the upper. there will be two screws and nuts provided with the rail. Basically you'll have to literally nut and bolt the picatinny rail to the upper and locktite must be applied to the screw and nut before tightening. He also said that using epoxy to permanently secure the nut to the underside of the upper is a good idea but will become a permanent modification. All instructions on how to do this will be provided (with pictures) when you receive the rails. He justified doing it in this manner by explaining the foward hole is blind and does not intrude completely thru the upper where as if they pre drilled the rear holes, it would have exposed the internals to the weather (rain, dirt, etc etc) and Beretta decided to leave it sealed. The rail will provide a moisture/dirt barrier and will provide the necessary protection. I guess their thinking is once a user puts the rail on, they will never permanently remove it. So, there you have it from the horses mouth. Beretta USA just found out about the mounting procedure yesterday. Dunno what Beretta will do for those who already sent their Storms to Accokek Maryland to have them drilled and tapped. Will be interesting to see what transpires from that fiasco. With our luck, LE agencies will have first grab at the rails and us peons will have to wait even longer. If that comes to pass, I think some legal action against Beretta is called for............. Will keep you posted of further developments.  :shock:  :eek:  :?

Offline lcdhs

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 04:16:12 PM »
Based on your info, Len Lucas was correct in his statements. It's more than a little wacky to worry about rain, dust etc, etc when there is no dust cover for the exposed areas opposite the charging handle and ejection port. It would have been simple enough to have the holes similar to the front. By the way, two screws & nuts had better be accompanied by a screw for the front hole. I still don't like the idea of screws & nuts in the receiver, but...I guess it's let the buyer beware of half-assed design of what should have been a no brainer.  So now it's seeing what needs to be done with my weapon in Maryland; at the very least I expect them to reimburse the $52 for shipping it there.  I called Merritt today & got his secretary, Susan.  She said she would take my info to the Project Manager, and have him call me back; needless to say, it didn't happen. Everyone is nice enough, then they blow you off.
 I want to say that I really appreciate your efforts in following things up, and providing  valuable information
information.

Offline tanuki

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 10:19:31 AM »
:D
You're more than welcome! Got a little more info this morning from Beretta. The "nut" that will come with the rail will not be a conventional one. It will be made to fit both of the recesses in the upper directly behind the barrel. Unlike the schematic, there will only be two mounting points: the one towards the front and the one at the rear. From what I was able to gather, the bottom of the rail will have a channel cut out of it to fit the raised rib on the upper. If you want the install to be permanent, loctite the screw in and epoxy the special nut in place.
Lets keep pressure on them and stay in touch. Hopefully everything will work out.  :roll:

Offline lcdhs

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 03:30:10 PM »
What a suprise! A woman named Teresa, who identified herself as the Beretta General Manager's assistant, called me at my office today. She said the rails are being shipped, and some may arrive by the end of the month. She went on to say, she would call me when they arrive. When (if?) that happens, I will post the info for everyone.

Offline proshooter175

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 09:48:57 AM »
8) I CALLED BERETTA TODAY..THEY GAVE ME THE SAME ANSWER..WE DONT KNOW WHEN,HOW OR HOW MUCH ARE THEY GOING TO COST. THEY ASKED ME TO BE PATIENT, THE ACCESSORIES WILL BE AVAILABLE BY THE END OF DECEMBER..... WELL I GUESS THAT EVERYBODY ELSE IS ON THE SAME BOAT AS ME....LET'S SEE...... :shock:
IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS....

Offline tanuki

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 11:12:53 AM »
I got the same info as well. I heard that the rails will be made out of extruded, machined aluminum anodized black. Beretta just got the extruder up and running and are making the rails as well speak/type. I got a good source. Fingers crossed for the end of December. :D

Offline lcdhs

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 05:50:12 PM »
Beretta is taking orders for Storm accessories. They aren't available yet, but at least you can get on the list. I ordered the top rail, side rail, bottom rail, two butt spacers, extra side rail, plus another cocking handle yesterday. Total was $143.

Offline proshooter175

CX4 RAILS
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 03:16:40 AM »
8) I CALLED BERETTA YESTERDAY AND ORDERED THE RAIL SET FOR MY CX4, THE RAILS ARE NOT AVAILABLE YET BUT THE SOONER YOU ORDER THEM THE BETTER. THE DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE TO GET THEM FOR YOU IF YOU ORDER AFTER DECEMBER. I ORDERED THE TOP AND BOTTOM RAIL AND IT CAME UP TO $86.02. $39.95 FOR TOP RAIL AND $46.27 FOR THE BOTTOM ONE. THEY ONLY ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS. NO C.O.D. BUT THEY TOLD ME THAT I WOULD HAVE THEM BY THE END OF DECEMBER..."I HOPE" . LET'S SEE IF THEY COME OUT OK..WELL THIS IS IT FOR NOW..I'LL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED....  

PS..ALL THE RAILS ARE IN BLACK. HO EVER GOT THE NAVY BLUE CX4 (THE ONE I WANTED) I DON'T KNOW IF TEY ARE AVAILABLE IN THAT COLOR. I THINK I'LL BE NICE WITH BLACK RAILS.....
     OK GUYS...THATS ALL.....HAVE A BLAST :gun4:
IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS....

Offline lcdhs

New info on CX4 Storm
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 08:04:57 PM »
I called Beretta 12-18-03. Now they say the accessories will be available January or February '04.