Author Topic: Can I use the #8 egg sinker to slug my .44 barrels?  (Read 723 times)

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Can I use the #8 egg sinker to slug my .44 barrels?
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »
It looks as though the only way I can be sure of which mold to buy for my 1894 Marlin and Ruger Redhawk is to slug them.  I sure hope they don't take two different molds.

If the #8 egg sinker is not the right size, what is closer in size that is also readily available for slugging the .44 barrels?

Can anyone give me an idea of what is a good flat-nosed bullet in the 230-250gr. weight for hog hunting?  I plan on shooting both for hogs and at the range.  I guess it'll be either in .429 or .430.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
Re: Can I use the #8 egg sinker to slug my .44 barrels?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »
big,

You can use any lump of lead that starts out bigger than your bore for slugging.  Just drive it in.  The excess will shear off at the muzzle with no harm to your bore.  I've use hard 45 caliber slugs to slug 30 caliber rifles before.

If your two bores are differant (and it's likely) you may be able to size large for one and larger for the other.  For instance, say they are .4291 and the other is .432.  You probably would have no trouble sizeing for both at .432 or even .433.  As long as the bullet will chamber, you're good to go if you're over the bore size.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cast bullets!

Cat