Author Topic: Acrobat or PDF corrupted...files won't open...?  (Read 1991 times)

TM7

Acrobat or PDF corrupted...files won't open...?
« on: July 30, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »
I can not open PDF files or pdf files sent to me in emails.
When I click on pdf attachements or my own stored files they will not open and I can not figure how to get them to open. They just pop up as a very small icon in the center of the vid monitor with some menu bar at the top.; but no way to open them for work, viewing or reading. Properties shows them to be quite large files as usual.

Why won't they open automatically; or how do I reset this feature..?

How do I get them to open normally when clicked on...?

Very perplexing problem, HELP. I am running Vista and Explorer browser

thanx all....TM7

Offline ShadowMover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Acrobat or PDF corrupted...files won't open...?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »
I use a Mac, but I'm sure there are similar features in Windows IE. First make sure you have all the plug-ins for IE to read .pdf files. The second option is to download Adobe Reader and open the file with it, outside of the browser (IE).  Check to make sure you have the settings on IE set to allow IE to open Adobe files (.pdf). 
I know that's not a straight cookbook answer, but maybe it will give some direction.. Did you recently reinstall Windows or some other major change?  You may have left a setting wrong.

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:08:47 PM »
Will the files open if you just run Adobe Reader and open the files with that?

Offline jandbn

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:10:42 PM »
TM7,

When you say you "reloaded" Adobe, do you install over top of the original installation? Or did you uninstall Adobe Reader, reboot the computer, and then re-install Adobe Reader 9.1 from here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Or you could try uninstall version 9.1, reboot the computer, and then install the older version of 8.1.3 that is available on that same webpage. Once you verify version 8.1.3 works, you can try upgrade to the new verions of 9.1.

It does sound like the installation is corrupt. I don't remember for sure with Vista, on XP you you can tell Windows which program to always use when you open a specific file type like .pdf files. On XP, you would right-click on the .pdf file, select Open with>Choose Program from the context menu that appears, select Adobe Reader in the dialogue window that opens and also place a check mark in the "Always use the selected program to opent this kind of file" box, and then select the OK button. Vista should be similar, but I don't remember for sure how it is done (don't like Vista-I use XP at work).

Offline 45454

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:47:57 PM »
Might try "Foxit Reader".
It's free.
And there's 2-3 more Acrobat alternatives.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:57:49 AM »
Have you tried Mozilla Firefox as a browser?  I use it for browsing, but still have Internet Explorer up because some downloads and updates need to come in over it. I'm no computer geek but when I loaded Firefox a lot of my internet activity got to be easier.

Offline 454PB

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »