Author Topic: Just another reason to double check data  (Read 365 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Just another reason to double check data
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:27:33 AM »
Got around to loading some of the new 6mm Nosler 55g that came yesterday for my 243 , inside the box was a Quick Load sheet from Nosler with H-380 data for this bullet in 243 Win.

The data listed a load of 49.0g ( min ) to 53.0g ( max ) so I picked 51.0g as my starting point , set the Pac unit and tossed the first charge , when I dumped it into the case it came flush with the case mouth  ??? , ran another with the same results , something is amiss .

So I go to the Hodgdon's 09 and look at their data , as its their powder , they list a starting load of 47.0g and a max of 51.0g Compressed .  :o

Dropped my charge to 49.0g and all is well in my world again .  ;) now to see if it likes them  ;D

stimpy 
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Just another reason to double check data
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »
That is another reason to have a different source of info to double check.thanks for the reminder.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
Hey Stumpy,

Keep us posted on the results from the Nosler Balistic tip.

I was out checking my 300winmag before hunting season, got some very good results there - over 3300fps and a group of three just a tad over 5/8" w/ 165gr Nosler Partitions ---

Anyway, finished up some tests with the 243 which had been started some time back.

I saw over 4000fps from one of my rifles for the first time ever. 5 shots went 3995fps average and 3 of the 5 went a tad over 4000.  Yeeeeeeeooo dat be fast.

Group wasn't worth a hoot, sorry to say.

However, have seen some very encouraging groups with other powders, with IMR4895 giving sub inch groups in the mid 3800fps range during this last bench session.

This old flat bolt RUGER has always been a good shooter, and looks like it is coming through again with the Nosler 55gr Balistic Tips.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:52:48 AM »
stimpy:
Did you give Nosler a call on that?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.