Author Topic: People making a bad name for our sport  (Read 2181 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
People making a bad name for our sport
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:05:04 AM »
Last year, I found out a guy had been killing buck and cutting there heads off.  Highway patrol and game warden busted him after finding blood in his truck the highway patrol (who was my neighbor growing up) ask to search his house.  Not sure on the detail of or legal stuff with the search but at some point the game warden got involved.  They found 18 deer heads in his garage.  My understanding was he had be busted for cutting heads off the year before as well.

This brings me to this year.  One of the few decent bucks in the area I hunted was found with his head gone by one of the farmers were the buck roamed.  The place I hunt is one of the places this buck has been seen and I have seen him on my brother in laws game camera.

If you want to shoot something, let me know I will give you a target.  If you want to take a nice buck, do it the right way.  Take pride in knowing you were able to HUNT that buck and come out successful.  You will not succeed in your first try that is why it is hunting.  That is what makes hunting to me is you have to keep going to be successful.

I hope who ever did this get caught.  If it is the same guy, he should be facing jail time.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: People making a bad name for our sport
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:37:41 AM »
I couldn't agree more. >:( It is just flat unsportsman. :(
There was quite a bit of discussion on this incidence over on okshooters.com recently.
Several of the guys there also lived close to this and were very irritated to say the least.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »
I've never understood trophy hunting.  Don't get me wrong.  I understand keeping trophies, but I just can't quite fathom hunting for the sake of the trophy.  And if that is all you're in it for, at least harvest the meat and donate it to a shelter or something.

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:04:21 AM »
Timely topic. 

One of my hunting buddies told me this AM that he found a deer on his land with the head cut off.  He discovered it while trailing a buck he shot on closing day of black powder.

These people make me sick.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »
  >:( These people are something else.  I heard of a case in Colo. were a guy shot 12 bucks and just took the antlers. Haven't heard if he was convicted or not. But he is certainly a low life. In that state leaving the meat and just killing a buck is a serious offense... I am not sure of all the material in the case, but from what I read, he was charged with a felony... Hanging by the neck until dead is too good for these dirt bags......

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
securitysix, I have the same philosophy.

Offline deernhog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
We are all trophy hunters just need a chance to do it. A nice fat six point or doe walk out  and a big buck strolls thru. Big boy goes down no drama just the truth. We had a huge buck sniped on our lease last year. Back straps and the rack were took.  No idea about the rack it was gone but it was a very large deer. Not only is road hunting unethical, it is stealing from me by taking deer I have paid for the right to hunt.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:36:21 PM »
Last year a long time poacher from the Snyder area was caught.  This guy poached out of season on private property.  He spotlighted a huge buck and took the head to a taxidermy shop.  The taxidermist is a game warden.  When it was over the scumbag lost his new truck, his gun, got a huge fine and lost his right to hunt in OK.   

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »
and lost his right to hunt in OK.   
  He sounds like a great guy.    ::)  I am confident that this loss will not prevent him from going to the woods. 
Specklebelly

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
We are all trophy hunters just need a chance to do it. A nice fat six point or doe walk out  and a big buck strolls thru. Big boy goes down no drama just the truth. ..........

Not so for me, the buck would walk, the Doe goes into the freezers.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »
We are all trophy hunters just need a chance to do it. A nice fat six point or doe walk out  and a big buck strolls thru. Big boy goes down no drama just the truth.

Mr. Monster 10 pointer (do they even get that big in OK?) probably has more meat on him that the 6-point or the doe anyway, so probably.  I wouldn't feel bad about taking the 6 or the doe, though.  Mr. Monster will just be bigger next year anyway.  The only real disadvantage to the 6-point is that if you shoot him now, he'll never grow into a huge buck.  Best bet is to ignore the 6-point and take the doe or the trophy if you get the chance at all three at the same time.

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
 Mr. Monster 10 pointer (do they even get that big in OK?)  [/quote]

To answer your question, yes.  I saw the biggest deer this week that I have ever seen in Oklahoma. 

I was goose hunting on a wheat field and a doe popped out of the woods.  A few seconds later we saw a buck jump out chasing her. 

He was a 12 point with really long brow tines.  It might sound kind of crazy for a hunting forum but I hope no one shoots him this season.  He was too nice of a buck to pull out of the gene pool.

Specklebelly

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »
I was on stand this evening  and it was about a 1/4 of a mile from the road on a ridge. I watched at least 6 different vehicles come down the road at speed but let them drop into the bottom and they slowed to 5 mph and coasted along till they saw my jeep then back to speed they went. We lost a large bodied buck 3 years ago near the road. They took the the head and the straps left the rest for the buzzards and coyotes.

Offline mrgd

• Avid Poster
    • Red River Ammo Company  Edmond, OK
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
Back when I was first married and really just a 21 y/o kid, this guy I knew would hunt in season and tag his deer and so on, but would just cut the heads off and through the rest in a ditch.  We were dirt poor and I told him my opinion of wasting deer meet like that and that I would take what he didn't want.  We ate pretty good for a couple of winters.  He had been doing it for years so I wasn't contributing by taking the meat, but it still felt a little dirty. 

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 04:58:32 AM »
When I was younger my buddies and I were driven to hunt trophy bucks.
But invariably we ended up taking more doe meat than buck.
We tended to pass on all small bucks.
We found out early that doe meat was usually better.
Now days "if" I go I'll be looking for a nice young doe.

Just the idle ramblings of an old fart..........
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »
I have not been a picky hunter for a few years now and always took what came my way. But a big buck still makes my heart jump like a 13 year old in a strip joint. We spotted a big boy in the hay meadow this evening that has put me back on my A game. Will set a lot stiller and a lot longer on stand from now till the end of the season.   To answer the question "Do they get that big in OK" yes they do.  I can't imagine wasting a deer for the sake of the horns only. When I quit eating what I kill I quit hunting it. Like doves I don't eat them, so I won't hunt them just for sport.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 08:33:28 AM »
 :-\ Having just returned from a hunt in Pa., I had three days of driving to reflect on how deer hunting in that state has changed in the last 50 years... When I went on my first hunt with my grandfather in 1959, he had a simple shelter put up to keep off the wind and rain. We also built a fire... For a day and a half we watched the wood lot where he had spotted a buck hanging out before season..(He was the local mail carrier>>) Each day the neighbor hunted over the bottom behind the hill we watched, and stopped by for a visit. John carried an old 30-40 Krag with 30 in. b arrel straight military.. Grandfather had his model 54 30-06, with about 20 different kinds of shells gathered from 30 years of his previous hunts... I had dad's model 94 32 spl. and ww 170 softpoints. Later we hunted different woods with no success. We did see several doe.  Most of the country was open to hunting... We just parked and hunted where we pleased..Through the next 13 years it was much the same. Most land was open to hunting, deer were not thick, but plentiful. Drives were common with both large and small groups. Some years we went north to the big woods, but mostly hunted near home.  Folks practiced stand hunting, drives, spotting across mts. or fields, and still hunting... Most of the deer I took the first years were by still hunting, then I switched to stand hunting which was merely picking a crossing and in most cases standing by a fire. This was usually only done the first day and on Sat.s...When I left that country, these styles of hunting was still common. By the time I left that area for the west deer were thick. Seeing 25-60 deer per day was not uncommon. When I retired and had time to return to hunt this same area, what a change.... The north woods we hunted is void of most game, except some turkey, and bear...The area around the old hunting grounds is almost all posted... Deer blinds, the size of small cabins dot the mountains some higher that the local firertower!!!!! Drives are a thing of the past for the most part...Tracking deer is un heard off, most hunters probably couldn't kill a deer by still hunting if they were starving.. Plus there is little country to pratice this sort of hunting any more. In the last 10 years since my retirement, the Pa. game comm. has cut down the numbers of deer to the point, many folks I visited with didn't see any deer...The area I tried had a bunch, but two valleys over there was nothing...Deer hunting there used to be an open, friendly, pleasurable experience. Now it seems to be a cutthoat, private, don't look at my deer or land, experience.  The need to kill the biggest buck in the state dominates many of the hunters minds... My girl friends grandson is just starting out and is very excited about deer hunting even as it exists there today... honestly I feel very sorry for him...And the others who only know todays conditions...

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Here is a link from kfor out of OKC. on what Matt was talking about. Glad they were caught and If I see anyone doing night spotlight  hunting I don't hesitate to call the authorities. Heres the link.    Jack

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-spotlight-poachers-story,0,4945691.story 
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
I saw that news story this morning.  Glad they were caught as well but that is not the area I hunt, so most likely the people involved with the problem in my area are still un-caught.

Offline youthpastorjon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 02:40:12 PM »
My wife was telling me she just read an articles about some guys who poached a ton of bucks here in NY somewhere.  It really ticks me off.  I spend hours in the woods and usually get 2 or 3 deer a season and we use the meat or give what we don't need to someone in need.  Using a truck and headlights is not hunting.  It gives all of us who are honest hunters a bad name.  I personally think they should lock these guys up for a while.  Its wrong.  True hunters have more respect for the game they hunt than to just take antlers.  If that is all you are in it for, you can buy those on ebay.  heck I have some kicking around I will sell you.

Offline catkiller

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »
Well this didn't make the papers but I can tell you from fact that a guy three years ago took a mountain lion from Oklahoma to Arkansas and got it mounted by his friend who was a taxidermist.One of the Arkansas wardens came into his shop and askes where the cat came from and the taxi told him Oklahoma.He said mountain lions are illegal to kill in Oklahoma,which they were at the time.The taxidermist said ,well I'm just doing what one of you guys told me to do.The warden asked him what do you mean?It turns out that the guy that brought it over was an Oklahoma game warden.The arkansas warden knew him so he turned it over to a federal warden.Funny thing was when he paid for the mount,he paid with another guys check!The fed asked the guys superior in OKC about it and when the warden was called up on the carpet over it he lied and said he killed it for depredation.He finaly admitted that a friend of his that works for the forrestry department that Lives around Poteau killed it just outside Poteau and wanted to get it mounted so he took it over there for him.They let him take early retirement.Should have fired his butt so he couldn't draw his pension.Should have also threw his butt in jail for breaking the Lacy Act amoung other things.Warden was from
Leflore and Pushmataha counties.
" A woman's breast is the hardest rock the almighty ever put on this earth and I can find no sign on it!"_ Will Geer (Bearclaw Chris Lapp) from Jeremiah Johnson.[/quote]

Offline beadlescomb

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
so how about that target but seriously the sad thing is that he probably wont get much time and and wont get the maximum fine and he will be out there doing it again because people get addicted to it

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 02:21:28 AM »
A local genius  poached a huge semi-tame deer on PG property in Wilburton.  Seems like that local rocket scientist had to taunt the game commission with an e-mail.  The game wardens got a number off a utility pole in the picture and busted the guy.  Lots of people had to know that the scumbag was doing this stuff but they did nothing.  We need to turn all of these scofflaws in. 

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/showthread.php?p=2107079

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?p=1455267