Author Topic: making a big bang  (Read 1516 times)

Offline bert-nc

• Trade Count: (0)
making a big bang
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »
I preparation for New Year's Eve, and later July 4th. Which will I  get the loudest bang from, a cannon or a thunder mug. Considering both would be the same bore, and use the same amount of powder. Not intended for projectiles, only a lot of noise.  Also should thundermugs follow the same guidelines as a cannon for wall thickness and powder amount used? 

bert-nc

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: making a big bang
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »
A thunder mug is simply a cannon chamber and should be made to the same safety standards,

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »
Which will I  get the loudest bang from

There are a lot of variables, like one may be louder with a certain grade of powder.  However, the folks who made thunder mugs for hundreds of years wanted something loud, and the mug is a device designed to maximize noise.  With little or no scientific basis for my decision, I vote for the thunder mug.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
You want noise?  Buy a full scale field gun without telling your wife. The noise will go on for YEARS.  ;D
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline bert-nc

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
You want noise?  Buy a full scale field gun without telling your wife. The noise will go on for YEARS.  ;D

I think not telling her would be as dangerous making a powder chamber wall to thin.  :D

bert-nc

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 07:08:15 AM »

from recent posts i'd guess a thunder mug would be best for shear blast and 'the effect ...' or "dizzy factor" as you are in front of the muzzle ......anywhere around it .  :o

i thought about this , for no good reason i think a 1.25-1.5" bore with a bore length 8"s would do !

nice flash too  ;D ... 

and 911 calls,  :D car alarms , fire trucks , police cars driving around the block and a plume of smoke that distracts the space shuttle .... oh yea ............neigbors peeping over the fence to check for survivors .

it would remind me of my kids teen age years .(says muttered prayer of thanks they lived)

i have rethought it ...i really dont need a friggin THUNDER MUG right now .....no not at all . ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Mike Scott

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:40:09 AM »
everyone needs a thundermug or two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia41AkZ4eHg

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 10:10:52 AM »
I haven't seen these for awhile. Check out these two from our own Spielberg; the first one shows multiple thunder mugs being set off in a chain reaction. Ed is the featured player in this one, but you can also see Cannonmn's sense of humor on display with his impromptu shadow play.
The second vid shows a large bore bronze Spanish thunder mug that ends with a pretty impressive bang.

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GaPMODiGRWk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GaPMODiGRWk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4EJLaHDHlc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4EJLaHDHlc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.