Author Topic: ar on the cheep  (Read 906 times)

Offline kid buckskin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
ar on the cheep
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:41:20 PM »
i whould like to pick all your brains !!!  is the run of mill ar that you whould git from say model 1 sales , as opposed to say panther " witch i hear is good stuff" is there anything that help me make a decision . i really dont want to open a can of worms that i have to constantly repaire

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: ar on the cheep
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:57:28 AM »
If you are looking for a cheap AR, check these out.  Of course there is some building involved.

DS Arms M4 Upper : $275
BCG Group from WeaponsParts.com : $100
Charging Handle : $20 (This can be purchased anywhere)
   ***You can purchase a charging handle with the Badger Tactical latch already installed for $30.  I highly recommend if you want to scope the rifle.  Usually, the Badger Tac Latch is at least $20 on it's own.  Not a bad deal.  I have 2, and they are great.***
Spikes Stripped Lower : $90
Spikes Lower Parts Kit : $50
M4 Stock : $50 (Lots of places to purchase this)

Total : $585

You could even check out the EE section on AR15.com.  I've picked up some cheap parts there too. 

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »
My take for what it's worth. If you will be using this rifle to defend your life in a "war like" situation then the premium money buys you extreme dependability. Redundancies that have been learned in combat situations, things like proper staking of bolts in critical areas. If on the other hand you want a serious plinker that could go to battle then you decide how many of those mission critical areas you can forgo. Chrome lined chamber and barrel are an example, if you will be able to clean and store the weapon properly I don't see it as a big deal.

The fastest place to spend money is on the accessories. If you absolutely want to hang a light from the forend get a railed forend right from the getgo cause there isn't much use for a spare in the closet. Trigger upgrades are the same way, get it done at the factory.

Or... build it yourself one piece or component at a time. Get a book, get a bit of trigger time on a buddy's AR, then sit down at the computer with a credit card and enjoy. It takes a minimum of specialty tools depending on how much you want to do piece by piece. There are even instructional videos out there.

If you are pretty happy with the other rifles you have, then you will be pretty happy with most any AR. If you are never happy with an out of the box rifle, then build your own. If you aren't a tinkerer but plan on wearing out barrels, and competing with others in fast paced compititions the find a Colt or other premium build gun.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline kid buckskin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 03:39:42 PM »
You guys have been helpfull!! Myself I tinker and have the tools to do some repair, I do gun fights in az on the weekends and among my group I am the guru of the single action guns we use. Iwhould like to get an ar just to plink my 1911 is fun and readly able to defend my family ! Anyway thanks guys

Offline Foxxtrot

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:01:13 PM »
brownells has a step by step guide on putting all of those parts together...and it is free to watch from your PC.

my last build cost me around $725...still need BUIS and flash hider. So add another $155.

Delton upper with YHM everything, basic parts kit and stock. Essential arms lower.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 01:30:44 AM »
prices are back down to reasonable and so are inventorys. A guy can pick up a dpms sportical for 7-800 bucks. there a good little gun and the advantage is your buying a complete gun from a manufacture so you get a warantee if things arent right. Put together a parts gun and you might save a 100 bucks but your on your own if something isnt right.
blue lives matter

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 04:53:48 AM »
Good observation Lloyd, I sorta forgot the inventory angle on prices. Noticed a few weeks ago the DPMS I own has gone from $900 to $1050 back to $900 in about a year. Except for sticking a couple laquered Wolf cases in mine, it has been flawless through a good thousand rounds.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 08:07:36 AM »
I agree with Llyod.  The Sporticals have i have seen are very nice.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline kid buckskin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »
I did some internet window shopin and come up with some iteresting stuff 575 will get you a complet upper with fire control group - lower I can get the lower local for 115 so becuse you guys where so kind and gave some insight the you can't get from the pages of the shotgunnews so all and all thanks a whol lot u guys

Offline jeff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »
I'm no expert but noticed an ad for an S&W M&P 15, 16" barrel a 20 rd mag and five additional 30 rd mags for $999 at Dick's.  Anything wrong with that?