Author Topic: Der Penetrator!  (Read 367 times)

Offline Terbltim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Der Penetrator!
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:58:59 AM »
I am wondering if some of the readers here have put together a REVOLVER load that was specifically intended for or turned out to be a supreme penetrator load?
I stumbled across one when I was cutting my teeth on the care and feeding of the 454 Casull, on the 7 ˝ “ RSR platform.
I'll mention that there is an annual get-together called the “Linebaugh Seminar” where attendants compare notes on what they've developed or learned since the last seminar. Penetration is a key topic.
My penetrator load is this:
A Cast bullet made from a Lee mold: 457-340-RF and cast from a hard alloy.
This bullet has a meplat of about .23” which works out well mathematically for penetration.
This bullet was sized down to .454” and loaded over a full case of 2400.
The velocity was a bit over 1400 but the penetration got our attention.
We had a fruit-crate full of water-saturated phone books, a tough test that had stopped everything until I  joined the group. (This was my first get-together with these guys.)
From 50 feet the bullet went through the fruit-crate (about 24”) and through some piled up fire-wood and embedded in a cedar fence-post so the bullet-base was flush with the surface of the post.
That crowd was impressed and we named the load “Der Penetrator”.
Recent times have reawakened my interest in the subject of penetration and thats why I started this thread.
Any good stories out there?
"Stop global whining!"

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Der Penetrator!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:23:45 AM »
Sounds like an interesting load.  I wonder if you can get the deer or hogs to line up broadside two or three deep just for that load...  Boy, wouldn't that make a story!

"I filled all my tags."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yep.  One shot."
"BS!"
"Seriously.  A buck and two does.  They lined up just right and I shot them with Der Penetrator.  It was like synchronized dying."

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:53 AM »
I'm working on something similar to that with a 357 mag. I've got some Cast Performance 187 gr FNGC sitting on 14 grains of Lil Gun that I'm going to try out around lunchtime today and see if my Blackhawk likes them. It would be for penetration on hogs. I tried some 170 gr SWC's recently and it loved them so hopefully it'll like this next bunch.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »
Back from the range and had a good day. The Blackhawk shot the 187's at 50 yards the same as the 170's so it's all set up for closer shots. Had tried several different bullets in my Security Six and today found that it likes the 158 gr SWCGC's. Did something different today and put a 1/4 inch thick steel plate down at the 100 yard targets. I already know the Contender likes the 158 gr JSP's but never thought they would shoot through the plate like they did. Nice neat hole every time my wife or I shot it. They should penetrate well on critters. Just for giggles I shot one of the 187 gr FNGC's thru the Contender. It hit a few inches high and to the right on the plate but went thru it also. All weight's on my bullets are sitting over 16.4 grains of Lil Gun except for the 187's and they're sitting over 14 grains.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.