Author Topic: It's been a while. Need a little help  (Read 521 times)

Offline FLUFF

• Trade Count: (0)
It's been a while. Need a little help
« on: October 24, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »
My Huntsman has been in the back of the safe for a few years I have been into shooting my AR15's and IDPA pistol matches. Now I have decided it was time to take it hunting again.  I orderd a modification and picked up a jug of Blackhorn209 powder but now the questions start.  When I was shooting I used 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets, a green sabot. 240gr Hrnady XTP bullets.
What would be a good starting load for a 240 gr bullet ?  How is the Blackhorn mesured? by weight or volume.  Can I still lube my sabots with bee's wax  to make them load easily? I clean with normal gun cleaning solvents,oil, ect ?

Thanks for your help

FLUFF

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: It's been a while. Need a little help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
BH209 is measured by volume just like all the other substitute black powders. It is a little more powerful than most so I would start at 80-90gr. and work up slowly. I also understand that the powder likes tight fitting sabots so lubing them with anything might just upset the performance. Cleaning after BH209 is with standard smokeless products and protect the bore with a good oil for storage.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
Re: It's been a while. Need a little help
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:19:22 AM »
BH209 is measured by volume just like all the other substitute black powders. It is a little more powerful than most so I would start at 80-90gr. and work up slowly. I also understand that the powder likes tight fitting sabots so lubing them with anything might just upset the performance. Cleaning after BH209 is with standard smokeless products and protect the bore with a good oil for storage.

First of all, welcome to GBO! Like Keith said, start with 80 gr. of BH209. That's what I did and found that 90gr. with a Hornady 240gr. XTP and green sabot gave me excellent results. And yes, they are TIGHT and don't lube.

Have fun, hunt safe and good luck!

Doug B.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI