Author Topic: How do I send my 12ga receiver in to be fitted with a 12ga slug Bbl?  (Read 983 times)

Offline HOGBUSTER1

• Trade Count: (1)
I have always wanted a 12ga slug gun. How  do I send my 12ga receiver back to H&R / NEF to be fitted with a fully rifled slug Bbl and have a trigger job done. Also what are the cost, and what kind of accuracy can I expect?
Thanks ???

Offline HOGBUSTER1

Re: How do I send my 12ga receiver in to be fitted with a 12ga slug Bbl?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:50:35 AM »
Hey guys
I just searched H&R web site and couldn't find the fully rifled slug Bbl for the 12ga pardner shotgun. Is it discontinued?
Thanks

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:34:41 AM »
try looking at the tracker or ultra slug hunter barrels
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »
Your standard 12 guage reciever will fit a tracker II barrel or a 20 guage ultra, the 12 guage ultra fits onlya 10 guage frame. Watch the classifieds and u might but one outright here.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »
There are other nuances. Your shotgun probably has a low comb stock. Works best with iron sights or a tiny scope mounted low and forward of the hammer. If you want a scope mounted like 99% do, you want a high comb stock to lift your cheek up. That will work better with normal size scopes, probably giving you greater accuracy.

I will tell you that shooting 12 gauge slugs for groups is very uncomfortable. I stand up and shoot maybe 5, to make sure I can hit what I am aiming at. Then I take a Tylenol and pick up something that does not kick as much, like a 30-06....lol.

Offline HOGBUSTER1

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:13:18 PM »
Ok! I revisited the H&R web site. Now im a little confused. I my H&R shotgun is the Pardner SB1 with a 3 1/2' chamber and screw in choke. Now on the web site, down in the 10ga Bbl section they list PN# 377 12ga 3'' chamber fully rifled bull Bbl for $86.00 which includes scope rail. I don't want the 20 or 12 gage Bbl with adjustable sights and not drilled an tapped for scope mounting. I want a 12ga fully rifled Bbl with a scope base. Will the Part # 377 fit my Pardner SB1? Im sure ill have to buy a but stock for scope use.
Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »
I have a Tracker II fully rifled and I shoot it off of a lead sled when sighting in.  I have a Bushnell shotgun scope on it which is OK I guess but it sucks in low light.  If it shot better, I'd contemplate putting a decent Nikon on it.  It currently produces groups about the size of a dinner plate at 100 yds and inside of 2" at 50 yds with the expensive Hornady sabots.  Not sure what is happening after 50 yds but it should shoot better than this.  The doof I got it from shot a lot of foster slugs out of it and leaded up the rifling quite badly but I have since gotten it cleaned up.  It's ok for deer, but I think a smooth bore would shoot about as good.  I am going to do some more experimenting with my home brew Lee handloaded slugs so we'll see what happens.
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline HOGBUSTER1

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »
Im trying to set up my Pardner SB1 to the same spec's as the ULTRA LIGHT SLUG HUNTER SB1-S14 without breaking the bank. Im not sure if the Ultra Light Slug Hunter SB1-S14 is on a 10ga receiver or the Pardner SB1 12ga receiver???. Not sure why H&R listed the 12ga Bbl PN# 377 down in the 10ga section???? If for only that reason!
Thanks ???

Offline HOGBUSTER1

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
Is the SB1-12ga receiver the same as the 10ga SB1-10ga receiver? Or am I missing something here?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
Hogbuster, your 12 guage frame is not the same as the 10 guage frame. You can fit, a tracker II barrel to your frame, or a 20 guage ultra slughunter to your frame and I believe there might even be an utra light slug hunter barrel in 12 or 20 guage, but the 12 guage ultra slug hunter barrel only fits the 10 guage frame. I am not sure if the ultra light slug hunter barrels are avaiable as an accesory barrel though. Also the 10 guage frame is considered an SB2 but no rifle barrels will fit it either.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Look at the model numbers of the complete shotguns, they show whether they're SB1 or SB2, as Billy said, the SB2 10ga shotgun frame isn't the same as an SB2 rifle frame, only 10ga and 12ga USH barrels can be fitted to the SB2 shotgun frame. At this time they won't sell the Ultralight shotgun barrels as accessory barrels, they only come on complete shotguns. That leaves the 20ga USH or the 12ga Tracker II which comes with sights that can be fitted to an SB1 frame, the 12ga Tracker I smooth bore which is no longer made had a scope rail, and just in case you're wondering, you can't get a scope rail on Tracker II 12ga from H&R, but a gunsmith could silver solder one on as H&R did with the Tracker I, Warne makes a steel base that will fit, H&R won't drill and tap a 12ga barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »
Im trying to set up my Pardner SB1 to the same spec's as the ULTRA LIGHT SLUG HUNTER SB1-S14 without breaking the bank.
I encourage you to go to your local Dick's and find out how much an ULSH is to order. Guessing $160.

Johnson City Region

Johnson City   13.5 miles   2011 North Roan Street
Johnson City, TN 37601
423-282-4430 

Kingsport Region

Kingsport   27.3 miles   2626 East Stone Dr.
Kingsport, TN 37660
423-245-3412 

Asheville Region

Asheville   38.1 miles   River Hills Shopping Center
107 A River Hills Rd
Asheville, NC 28805
828-299-0077 

Then check your local shop to compare.

You can pick up used barrels here on GBO for around $65-70 shipped. No guarantee that they will fit though. A stock is another $40, and a hammer extension, another 10.

Me, I bought the barrel here, but I had the other stuff already as well as a bunch of receivers.

If I had one gun, I would buy a whole ULSH. Actually I'd buy a 5 pack of Remington sluggers and shoot them out of the existing barrel to make sure I really wanted a lightweight 12 gauge slug gun.

Offline HOGBUSTER1

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
I guess im just SOL until H&R offers the Bbl im looking for as an acessory Bbl, like I said I want to set up my Pardner to be a designated slug gun and I like the looks of the ULTRA LIGHT SLUG HUNTER SB1-S14. But im NOT going to dish out $400.00 to own one. since I already have the receiver. Know what I mean??
OH WELL!
Thanks for the help guys.
HOG

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 01:45:40 AM »
A complete ULSH gun will run about $160. Add case/rings/scope/ammo/recoil pad and maybe then you are at $400. Even a camo thumbhole USH is not $400.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 06:01:10 AM »
While no one has one is stock that I could find, the ULSH sells for $175-$200 at all the retailers I found listed online, if Bud's ever gets them in stock, I'd bet he'll have it for the least as his other prices are exceptional, his price which includes shipping is usually less than any other online retailer. I don't know what the ULSH accessory barrel will sell for, but it will be somewhere between $65 and $102, on top of that you must pay $17 fitting and $25 return shipping plus the cost of getting your frame and stock to them, so there's not as much difference in price as you think, with an $80 price on the barrel, the accessory barrel would cost about $140, something to consider when buying the less expensive H&R firearms.  ;)

Tim

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/350/products_id/200152

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GSB1-S14

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=105680

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?pid=74496
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline wreckhog

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
Don't forget another $10 to ship the receiver insured and trackable to H&R and another $10 for the hammer extension. I am fairly sure that the Dick's special order book has the ULSH for around $160. Also check Gun Broker for local sellers. There is a shop near me that can't get rid of a  nib 12 gauge USH. Last I saw it was $180. Your other alternative is to get any old smoothbore 20 gauge barrel drilled and tapped. And if you are not set on Handis, I often see bolt action Marlins that were converted to slug guns.