Author Topic: home made extruder question.  (Read 938 times)

Offline hunter280man

• Trade Count: (0)
home made extruder question.
« on: August 28, 2003, 12:47:18 AM »
I was looking at the wire extruding dies and was wondering if I might be able to make my own wire by purchasing one of those dies and making my own hydraulic ram system with a fixed 3- 4 -5? inch cylinder ran off a tractor.  

I have access to a machine shop to make a quality jig to mount to a ram  so precision isn't a issue...just how much pressure needed with tractor hydraulic systems.  I also have access to several tractors over 150hp so they should have about as much pressure as possible. 8)
The older I get the better I was!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 04:51:46 AM »
The short answer is yes. As a matter of fact you can do it with a manual hydrolic jack if it is big enough (a size available at your local hardware store). There is a relationship between the ram force, the BNh of the 'lead',  the cross section of the lead billet,  the final wire size, and operating temperature. Mr Corbin wrote an extensive article on this subject in his "Power Swaging" loose leaf booklet ( chapter on Lead Wire Production). If you need to know more send me a PM, or post here. 8)

Offline hunter280man

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 01:08:56 PM »
Thanks talon....I have a 20ton press looking for some extra work.   Think that is big enough?  

I was thinking on the lines of machining out a jig to hold on to the dies and taking a short stroker of approx 4 inch dia and just perm fastening  it to the cylinder.    I like the thought of using the big press instead.

Thanks for the comeback! :D

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 02:56:28 PM »
Hunter, you have a PM. 8)

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 07:06:49 AM »
Hunter, any progress during these past 6 weks? 8)

Offline hunter280man

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 02:50:20 PM »
Hi Talon,   No...we've experienced problems on the farm....its called harvest.    That and the fact that I have the farm for the rest of the season...my uncle had a old M-4 unibine fall on him last fri.   No broken bones but he hurts to beat all!  

I have all the drawings made and showed them to my buddy and he said its a snap.    But we have probably 6 months of dies and punches to make first...That is after he gets off from his hunting break in about two months from now. :(  

I found that the .408 wire from Star works alright for the .45 cal for now.    If I go for the .50 cal conicals I will then be forced to get the wire extruder going asap.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 03:44:58 PM »
Three observations about farming: 1. Why do you do it? There's plenty of food in the grocery store. 2. Anyone who says firefighting is the most dangerous occupation never lived on a farm. 3. The harder you work, the behinder you get.  Sorry to hear about your Uncle... especially when all hands are needed. 8)