Author Topic: Took Huntsman to range today  (Read 624 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Took Huntsman to range today
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
My hunting partner, a young GI from Eielson AFB, and I took our Muzzleloaders out onto the river bank this evening.  My buddy took his Knight,  Taylor took his new T/C, and I took both my T/C Encore and my Huntsman.  I shot two or three shots through the Encore and put it away.  Then I got out the Huntsman.  We were just shooting for the fun of it.  We would pick out a rock, log, stump, any thing that stood out on the river bed.  Out to 150 yards I could hit anything they could hit.  They were impressed, also with the size of the gun.  Felt nice to pick out a 4 to 6 inch stump about four feet high, then hear the solid whack when the bullet struck wood.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
Re: Took Huntsman to range today
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »
They are tough to beat. I have a sidekick as well as an encore.  I prefer the sidekick anytime.  Muzzleloader season starts tomorrow here in northern new york and runs for a week.  Wanna make a guess when I take a weeks vacation is?  you guessed it I am out of work today at 4 for 9 glorious days.  This H&R muzzleloaders are the exception to the rule that cheaper isnt always better, cuz these muzzleloaders sure are. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:32:24 AM »
Before anyone says anything about the unsafe manner we were shooting in out on the river bed.  The entire area we were shooting towards is an Army Impact area.  It is where the Army troops from Ft Wainwright shoot their morters, RPGs, Howitzers, cannons, and anything else that explodes on impact.  We are also beside the range where the army shoot all their guns.  Shooting in the same direction.  Believe me no one will be there.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 06:06:37 AM »
Just got back from the range out on the river bed.  We were shooting at a cardboard life size Moose.  Beyond 150 yards the boys were missing the Moose.  They complain that the front site covers the entire Moose.  Got a lot of work to do with these two.  I'm still recovering from the flue so I's not real tolerant right now.  Could not get across to them to use the top of the site not the whole site.  So we will go back out nest Tuesday or Wednesday evening.

They could not understand how I was hitting in the heart lung area and they could not.  I had a 12" group, mainly due to my not feeling well.  But since a Moose has an 18" kill zone I was satisfied.
What Is A Veteran?