Author Topic: My non-working 929  (Read 661 times)

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
My non-working 929
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:24:58 PM »
I tried to load some pics. My wife bought this for me for fathers day a few years ago. I like the gun but the cylinder doesn't index properly. Works well enough otherwise ( I've even taken a few squirrels with it). I ordered a new hand for it a while back but that didn't fix the problem, didn't make it any worse though. How "hard" should the hand be bearing against the ratchet on the back of the cylinder? mine seems to take no pressure whatsoever to push it back into the frame, yet there is enough spring pressure to make it stick out to where it looks like it should work. I'd like to have this working properly but can't justify putting a bunch of money into it at the gunsmith shop. Any advise?

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: My non-working 929
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »
The hand on all of these H&R revolvers is very "soft" on the opposing side - but still on the push side.  Your problem sounds to me to be a ratchet misfit with the hand.  Your need to take it to a "GOOD" gunsmith who can set the cylinder timing so that it regulates properly.  Not a big problem for a real smith.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: My non-working 929
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
 Thanks, I'm gonna have to find a good smith in my area and at least get an estimate. The only smith I trusted around here closed up a few years ago.