Author Topic: Need Help - Wismer Cannon Works  (Read 518 times)

Offline DenverDuck

• Trade Count: (4)
Need Help - Wismer Cannon Works
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:19:39 PM »
I have a chance to buy one of these.

Wismer Cannon Works 1971 No. 18

Barrel is 17 inches, 4 inch Breech, 3 inch muzzle, 1 inch bore, 14 1/2 inch wheels and adjustable for altitude.

He wants $200.00 for it.....Any comments are welcome....I have tried Google and nothing comes up.
Many thanks...Duck

Just an addition....Thanks for the advice so far...The Wismer is now mine! Just wish I knew more about it.

This shows a 36 inch yardstick under the cannon to give you an idea of the overall length of about 33 inches.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Need Help - Wismer Cannon Works
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
i dont know anything about it a, but 200 bcks is pretty cheap i'd say .

a steel barrel ? real thing or cheap decor have you seen it ? i got first dibbs if you back out ! ;D

gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:30:37 PM »
Duck,

Pics please, but, the carriage may be worth more than 200

Michael

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »
thats a nice looking gun . not sure exactly what exactly ....a pack parrott of sorts .

i wouldnt mind owning it but i wouldnt mind owning nearly any cannon  8).

eta if you are looking for a nice first cannon it would a nice one .

is it lined ? can you tell if the trunions are welded or cast on ?

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
I'll look through some of my Artillerymen Magazines from the 70's and see if they advertised,

Can you tell if the bore is sleeved?  if not it could always go to a machine shop and be bored out and sleeved.

for the price I would not think twice.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:33:12 PM »
Duck,

Nice looking barrel...plenty of meat...4 inch breech with 1 inch bore. The vent location looks good. Looking at pics only, I think you did very well.

Michael

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 02:47:07 PM »
Well the barrel is cast and doesn't appear to be lined.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum, DenverDuck. First: For 200 bucks, that's a good deal; on electric auctions people pay over a hundred dollars for just those size wheels alone.
Second: I enlarged your pic of the muzzle of your cannon, and the tube appears to be cast iron, and I can't detect a steel liner. Take some sand paper, and remove the paint around the bore on the muzzle face; if it has a liner you'll be able to see the ring where the steel meets the iron. This is my personal opinion; if the tube doesn't have a seamless steel liner of the proper wall thickness, then I would never fire the gun. Find someone that that knows what they're doing, and have them make, and install a proper liner for your gun. I think one of our sponsors (Dom Carpenter) has done this for other members.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.