Author Topic: barricade in a muzzleloader??  (Read 641 times)

Offline oldfart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
barricade in a muzzleloader??
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:50:43 AM »
i just got thru cleaning my muzzleloader after sighting in 777 powder. i found a little rust in my gun nothing bad just light spot or two, i have used bore butter for years cause it was made for muzzleloaders. i have heard recently that its not the best for a muzzleloader and if not used just right it will cause rust to form. i went to my gun shop earlier and asked them, they said absolutely to not use any regular gun products in a muzzleloader. they said to use non pretroleum cleaning products, and bore butter or a natural rust preventive. i have used barricade for years in my other guns and none have any rust issues, will it be ok after cleaning my barrel to put barricade in it to prevent rust? thanks for any help.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: barricade in a muzzleloader??
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:23:34 AM »
I believe the caution about petro based products is based upon use of true black.   Use a good protectorant such as Breakfree-CLP or the Barricade or Eezox and forget their paranoia.  Just be sure to use a couple of alcohol dampened patches followed by dry patches before loading the rifle.  Clean and dry is the goal.  With Barricade or Eezox, you might even be able to skip the patches - but I wouldn't.

Use what's left of your Bore Butter to lube conicals if need be.   ;D
WHUT?

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: barricade in a muzzleloader??
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:29:49 AM »
After cleaning in the field with Windex + alcohol patches OR a full cleaning I wipe the outside surfaces with a Barracade patch, tear it in half and fold the half so it will fit snug over the jag and wipe the bore with it. I then take half and place it into JUST the end of the muzzle so it is visibly and take the other half and fold it between the firing pin and
breech plug and close the breech.
I have a CVA optima and this seems to protect the bore with a light coat of Barricade and eliminated any air movement in the bore.
A simple primer firing before loading seems to clean out any bore residue
I's just what I do
MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS