Author Topic: Which 45/70 load data do I use???  (Read 512 times)

Offline Sensai

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
Which 45/70 load data do I use???
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:00 AM »
 ??? It must be on here somewhere, but I can't find it!  I'm in the process of acquiring a 45/70 barrel for my NEF Handi-rifle, and so I'm setting up to reload for it.  In looking over the reloading data in my manuals they all seem to break their data into three catagories: Trapdoor and older rifles, Marlin 1895, and modern rifles.  Which catagory does the Handi fall into.  If I understand correctly the Handi is actually an older design that is manufactured with more modern materials.

Any help in deciphering this will be greatly appreciated.  I like Bang, not BOOM.

Thanks
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline coop4u2c

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which 45/70 load data do I use???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
I use the data for the 1895 action. Handi's are plenty strong enough for these loads.
My fav. load is a 300 gr. Hdy HP with 55 gr. of H4198.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:33:13 AM »
The handy will handle the ruger loads, but I think you'll find out your shoulder can't. I use trap door loads mostly in mine but sometime I'll use low end Marlin loads. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Sensai

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:51:12 AM »
Thanks guys.

I just KNEW that the info I needed was on here somewhere, but I couldn't find it using "search".  I guess that it helps to know what your searching for.  I went through the FAQs line by line, and there it was!  It was under "45/70 load levels" instead of load category, but there was a wealth of info.  I never cease to be amazed by the abundance of knowledge that is willfully shared on this forum. :)

Sorry for starting a new topic for info that was already available.
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:59:37 AM »
45-70 load level is listed in the FAQs and Help sticky in the H&R Centerfire Rifle forum, basically Bob hit the nail on the head, the rifle will handle more than most shooters want to!!  ;D The Handi is factory chambered in 500S&W which has a bigger case head than the 45-70 and has a higher operating pressure than most Ruger/modern rifle data.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »
The Handy Rifle will handle more than you want to shoulder. However, it's a lightweight rifle, so any of the really heavy loads will be punishing  (like crack your tooth fillings punishing)!

I'd stick to the "middle" just because you probably are not going after any elephants or rhino's.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »
You CAN use any of those load levels you want.

I have loaded 550 gr loads into the Ruger range. With 19 ounces of lead in the bolt hole and a kick killer pad on the stock my BC kicks less than my 12 gauge Tracker II with 1 ounce slugs. 

Of course this is a load that would probably drop a charging T. Rex....
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 05:05:34 AM »
my BC likes 57grains of Hodgdon 4198 pushing a lyman mold 330 grain  hollowpoint.
i fill the butt stock hole with copper bb's from a kids bb gun. they really work well absorbing the recoil and with the long barrel balance things out.