Author Topic: sweet 16 or sportacle?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
sweet 16 or sportacle?
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:22 AM »
pros and  cons  ....those  are the choises  in  DPMS
.....feel  free  to  add another choise

looking for......
     cheap.....money is  of  some concern.....SPORTACLE[$180 difference]
     stainless......sweet 16....probly the decideing  factor  so far...expencive upgrade later
     retracable stock.....sportacle ...but thats a cheap  up grade later
     lo-pro receiver   vs  standard  receiver
     free  float barrel......  sweet 16
      weight.....16  is heavier barrel.....good or  bad?? [6.3  vs 7.8 pounds]

any  other pros or cons?
any one  shot  both?
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: sweet 16 or sportacle?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »
Ever thought of building your own. Or perhaps buying a complete lower and complete upper. Not impressed with DPMS at all because of their tight chambers.

With a $120 stripped lower these would run $605 and $640 if you keep the parameters as the stock offering.
http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KCE160&storeid=1&image=car16pre.gif&CFID=55986877&CFTOKEN=64206056

With a complete lower at $250 these would run $580 and $615 if you stayed with the stock configuration. All could be configured more to the way you want it with some more money.
http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=UCE160&storeid=1&image=u16carpre.gif&CFID=55986877&CFTOKEN=64206056

Not trying to bash DPMS but if you are going to feed it with cheap ammo, I wouldn't want that tight chamber.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
never  seen  that web site

it  might  be  the  way  to  go
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:54:43 PM »
The only thing that turns me away from the sportacle (if I have my models correct) is the sportacle has no forward assist. Like Arier said they have tight chambers. I would never own a ar without a forward assist.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 01:50:26 AM »
ive shot ars for many years and have never used a forward assist and probably never will. I picked up a sportical for a beater gun just because of the price. To be honest ive about fell in love with it. Its so much lighter then the rest of my ars as all of them have heavier barrels and most have a bunch more things hanging off of them. It makes for a real handy light little rifle. The weight differnce is defineatly noticeable. to my surprise the gun is a tack driver to boot. Many loads go into an inch at a 100 yards. Its been very reliable but then i small base size all my ammo for ars. I cant see not doing it as the most important thing with an ar is that they go bang every time. In my opinion there a hell of a bang for the buck.
blue lives matter

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:11:42 AM »
I used to own a DPMS Sweet 16.  It was the most accurate AR I've ever owned.  Free floated foreend, dust cover, and forward assist are nice to have, but only the free floated foreend helps with accuracy. 

I don't think you could go wrong with either.  Rock River makes a varmint version almost identical to sweet 16 also.

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 05:53:58 AM »
While I have not shot a DPMS Sportical, I have owned and shot several other AR's. I think in all the rounds I have shot through AR's I have used the forward assist a grand total of 3 times and each time if I had done things RIGHT to start with I wouldn't have had to use the Forward Assist.

In each instance I tried to let the bolt / bolt carrier go forward slowly trying to not make noise to spook a Coyote. In the end I could have just as well just let the bolt / bolt carrier slam forward as I ended up making more noise anyway.

In my opinion there are two things I would like to see and or change on the DPMS Sportical. #1 would be a Free Float Tube. The reason for that is I am primarily a varmint / predator hunter and do shoot off of Bipods a lot. #2 would be the Dust Cover. Out calling Coyotes in the snow I do use my Dust Cover more than I ever thought I would. While it hasn't happened to me as yet I suppose the down side to a dust cover is it could get froze shut, but I would think the cycling of the action would pop it open (hopefully without breaking anything).

My nephew keeps wanting an AR. I keep telling him to just buy a DPMS Sportical as he wants a 16" Barrel with a 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 01:45:21 AM »
saw a 20 inch heavy barreled sprortical in the gun shop a few months ago. 20 inch and free floated. Didnt know they made it but it was brand new in the box. Pretty slick gun. I agree tough. I kind of wish theyd put dust covers on the sproticals.
blue lives matter

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »
that  is  called  ''low pro '' receiver

a  cost cutting  thing......deletes  features  that  won't matter  to  some

also  makes  it lighter  i think

my  308  has  a similar reciever  to the sportacle

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:43:30 AM »
my 308 does too. Just wish again it had an ejection port cover.
blue lives matter

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 04:49:25 AM »
sportacle  just  got ordered  5 minutes  ago

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 05:51:25 AM »
sportacle  just  got ordered  5 minutes  ago

Now you have to give us all a full range report when you get it.  It's your duty.