Author Topic: 45 Colt Self Defense Loads  (Read 3337 times)

Offline LouisianaMan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
Re: 45 Colt Self Defense Loads
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 01:18:37 PM »
NickSS,
Any problems with leading at 850fps and your 30-1 alloy? Gas checks, or plain-based? (I assume the latter.)

I know many other aspects affect the leading issue, BTW.

Anyway, I'm looking to cast some soft .45s and 200g .38s for the same reasons some have cited here, i.e. the expansion potential combined with heavyweight straight-on penetration. It's what the British valued in the .455 and their initial 200g LFP .38 in the 1920s, and more modern analyses also indicate the value of soft lead as a wounding mechanism. I like the controllability of standard-pressure .38s and .45s, with the other advantags (or potential advantages) listed above. Buffalo Bore .38s are apparently gas-checked pure lead (BH 5 or 6), and their .45s are about BH 9. Yours are about a BH 6, I guess?
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline kiddekop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 45 Colt Self Defense Loads
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 08:57:43 AM »
One of the police officers I worked with told me about some stops other officers made using the 45 colt ammo.A fleeing felon was shot at with 45colt jacked flat point ammo that went thru the left passengers door at an angle into the drivers seat dislocating the perps hip pursuit stopped,in another case of a fleeing felon the 45colt round went thus the steel trunk lid,thru the back seat & front seat into the shoulder of the perp completely dislocating it pursuit stopped!I met officers in the 1960's who carried colt 45 sidearms but had to buy their own ammo none of the perps once hit needed another shot.