Author Topic: Gas Checks  (Read 739 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Gas Checks
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »
While I'm not new to reloading and casting I am new to gas checks. I know what they do and some of my store bought cast bullets have gas checks. As long as a cast bullet doesn't have a bevel base can a gas check be crimped on it during sizing to where it'll stay put ? Thanks.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Gas Checks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »
The bullet will have to be a GC design for them to work , a standard Flat Base bullet will not work as there needs to be a cut-out for the GC to fit into , it will look like a small step cut on the bullet base .

You can however shoot GC style bullets with out a GC installed if you want to , you just can't push them as hard , they will be like a bevel base bullet at that point .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »
Stimp is right. I load occasionally a gc 170 grain in my 3030, at the same velocity I load a jacketed 150 grainer, which is a little over 2400 fps. This is a wheel weight bullet and does not lead with the gas check, and is accurate.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 05:14:37 AM »
Lee molds aren't expensive so I'll avoid any problems and get a 158 gr SWC GC for my hotter loads and a 158 gr FP with a big meplat for the other stuff. I appreciate the input.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.