Author Topic: Museum video for Boom J  (Read 323 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Museum video for Boom J
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:20:10 AM »
This topic got buried so far in another thread I needed to start again here.  I think it was Boom J who wrote he had not seen the small Dahlgren Boat Howitzer in the Navy Museum in DC.  It is shown briefly here at time 9:21.  You can also see large replica cannons kept inside the museum, out of the elements, at 7:50 and 9:50.  I have asked the Navy at various times, in writing, if it wouldn't be a good idea to move some of the priceless, corroding cannons from outside, into the museum, inside, but all I can get are bureaucratically-stated "no's"  There are one or two pix of their very nice, original 32 pounder carronade also, as well as many other pieces of ordnance inside the museum.  There's an original atomic bomb, "little boy" type, which actually used a muzzle-loading cannon to shoot one piece of U-235 into another, causing a rather large explosion.  Hopefully one day (while I'm still able to appreciate them) the photos of the insides of that device will become available to the public.

[yt=425,350]6ILe5b1t4GM[/yt]

Offline KABAR2

Re: Museum video for Boom J
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »
Cannonmn,

There is another Bronze breech loader very much like this one from what I can tell at Fort Monroe,

I was there on a Sunday two weeks ago so I could not really find any of the staff to speak to,  they

have some of the casement museum set up showing life on the base at different points in time,

one exhibit is an Officer's club and on the wall is the bronze breech loader I did not have a camera with

as this was spur of the moment Carol's brother & family were in town. The cannon is too far away in the exhibit to get a good look at.

I will try to get over there again in the future, but it all depends on what's happening with M'Lady.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:16:27 AM »
Thanks, Cannonmn. The Dahlgren boat howitzer on a field carriage shown near the end of your video, and the howitzer mounted on the naval sliding carriage shown earlier in this same vid, must be the two Dahlgren boat howitzers that K. Nielsen was referring to.
I also noticed that this video has a few more shots of that fine Dahlgren designed swivel blunderbuss.   
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
The 24 pdr. smoothbore Dahlgren boat howitzer on sliding wood pivot mount has never been outside, at least since 1976.  It was part of the Smithsonian's 1876 exhibit for a few years that was in place on the National Mall, then went to the Navy Museum, inside where it has always been.  It was complete when I saw it in the 1876 exhibit, had elevation screw, compressor screw, firing lock (hammer).  A few things are missing now, perhaps due to pilferage from visitors.  Anything that can be removed from a museum exhibit, by dishonest visitors, will be stolen, you can be sure of that.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »
No, neither the wood of the carriage, nor the finish of the tube, makes it look like they've spent a good number of years exposed to the elements.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.