Author Topic: Most lenate gun state  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Heckler&Koch

• Trade Count: (0)
Most lenate gun state
« on: November 13, 2003, 09:45:10 AM »
I'm convinced that obtaining a gun in my homestate (new jersey) is nearly impossible because of the strict gun laws. I'm wondering what state has the most lax gun laws, and would be the easiest to obtain one (handgun). Are there any states that allow someone to purchase a gun at a gunshow without a permit? Or if a permit is always nessisary are there any states that will grant you one if you aren't a resident of that state?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Most lenate gun state
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 10:01:57 AM »
I believe most states that actually issue permits do have provisions for issuing to out of state folks but circumstances vary. It would work only in the state of issue and be given only if you plan to be there for some period generally.

In Bama we don't need any kinda permit to purchase guns or carry them home or to the range to use or for hunting. If you wish to carry a handgun concealed on your person during your daily activities in public places then and only then do you need a concealed carry handgun permit.

It is really tough to get one here. You have to go to the Sherriff's office in the county in while you reside. Fill out a whole page of information and come back 30 days later or sooner if you call and ask if it is ready.  :)  If you aren't a felon it will be issued at a cost of $10. You will need to renew it annually for another $10. Since the money from the sale of these permits is an off budget supplement to the Sherriff and he can use it as he wishes you sure don't have to worry about them not issuing you a permit. Unless you are a criminal with a record you will get your permit if you live in Bama. I've had mine since I turned 21 years of age. I'm now 58 and will be 59 in March when my permit is due for renewal for the 38th time.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 1GLOCK

• Avid Poster
Most lenate gun state
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 10:06:56 AM »
Pennsylvania is a shall issue state. I know its pretty easy for us to get permits here, as long as youre not a "prohibited" person you should be able to get a PA permit without too much trouble. We are not required to have a permit or licence to buy a gun at a gun show, even a handgun, the permit is only for carry purposes. Move to PA, were much more intune with the "real" gun issue, NJ is about like CA, NY, MS (way out in left field). Id have to say Vermont and Alaska are the most lenient gun states.

Offline Heckler&Koch

Most lenate gun state
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 10:34:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  :D

1Glock, Since I'm right next to PA I'm thinking that's where I'll go. I found this application in .pdf format from the Centre County Courthouse:

http://county.centreconnect.org/sheriff/ccwform.pdf

Is this application similar to most other counties? Packing.org says I don't have to appear in person to obtain the permit: http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/pennsylvania

So I'm wondering then, is this how the process works. One, I fill out the application and e-mail it back to the sheriff, he approves it (hopefully) and then sends me my permit back to me by mail, and wa-la that's it? Then I could just visit any PA gun show and show them my permit and I'm good to go? Or am I misunderstanding the process?

It's amazing just how complex the laws are state to state, but it is quite interesting nonetheless.  :-D

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Most lenate gun state
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 04:44:28 PM »
H&K, carry permits are issued by counties in PA. I know Delaware and Chester CO photograph you just like a drivers license, so you will need to show up  in person. If you are a PA resident you do not need any type of permit except valid ID and a clean background to buy a handgun at a gunshow or any dealer. Was this what you were asking, or were you looking to carry? We welcome political refugees from The Peoples Republic of New Jersey.
NRA Lifer

Offline colt451911

Most lenate gun state
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 05:18:53 PM »
Permit to buy at a gun show? These are the things that make me glad I live on the west coast.  We certainly have our fair share of liberal hippie types in Washington state but luckily outside of Seattle there are enough of us with brains to make up for it.  We can buy at gun shows without a permit or even a background check for private sales.  As far as I know the carry laws are more or less similar to those that GB described for Alabama.  Our neighbor Idaho has even more gun friendly laws.

Offline Slug-Gunner

For ALL Gun & CCW Info
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 05:25:47 PM »
For all your gun laws for each state and Concealed Carry Weapons Permit/License go to the following website. Go to the right hand column for each state for a "quick summary" or "gun friendly" info. For more detailed info read the main text or use hyperlinks for each state. I have it in my FAVORITES folder.

www.packing.org

Hope this helps many of you....

:D  :-D  :P  :wink:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline KN

Most lenate gun state
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 06:50:03 PM »
Slug-Gunner is right, Being from MO and with everything thats going on here, I find myself at packing.org several times a day. It's filled with all kinds of info from every state concerning CCW and state laws. Also has a pretty good forum. I also have submited my paper work for a CCW in PA. Fill out the form, (downloaded) send a copy of your DL, and $20. Thats from Centre County. The link is on the packing web site.  KN

Offline EricG

Most lenate gun state
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 07:15:59 PM »
Vermont...just buy the damn thing...if your a resident & 21... then carry it concealed without permit except airport, school etc..

Alaska just adopted the "Vermont" law but some cities are still requiring ccw permit for carry concealed.

These are the ones I'm familiar with.

Eric

Offline williamlayton

Most lenate gun state
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 11:01:05 PM »
a lot, not all, of this issue is not defined by law. well it is defined by law to the extent of proceactural powers. what is acceptable in the culture in which one lives is the actual reality.
until just recently texas had no actual ccw permit. there were/are actual laws which governed the right of a citizen to posess, in his vehicle, a handgun. strictly defined, if a person were crossing two county lines in a direct path from one specific location to a specific destination, he/she was within the LAW. long guns, rifles excluded with laws governing how these were to be transported. carry outside this vehicle was illegal.
in actual reality-ah the reality of it all-a LOT of folks posessed hand guns, on their person, in their car. most weapons of the shotgun, rifle types had the ammunition handy-if in fact the weapon was not loaded.
did peace officers know this. YES. were they out searching for these weapon to take them out of the possession of the owner. NO. were they aware of this situation. YES, lord they got friends too.
this is still the situation. a number of years ago i went to a driving range-golf talk here. while in the midst of my agony sum fellers decided they would see what i had in my truck. the .38 i had stolen was reported to the police. the officer investigating-well not investigating jest writing up the paperwork-never blinked an eye, not a comment, not a warning.
now i do not know where a lot of you fellers live or the climate or culture in which you operate but in TEXAS,BY GOD a sheriff could very well be defeated in the next election if'n he decided to enforce sum of these laws.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Most lenate gun state
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 04:38:29 PM »
Graybeard,

In Barbour County to get my first permit the sheriff asked my employer if he thought I was stable. That was in '72. Had one ever since, but here it's$15 , $16 if you want it laminated. Don't even have to go to the sheriffs office any more, just mail the check and a copy of last years license.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Most lenate gun state
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 07:25:23 PM »
Yup Tom back when I got my permit in '66 the old gentleman that ran the neighborhood drug store was in the Sheriff's office when I went in to apply. When he saw me and found what I was there for he told Old Sherriff Snead to give me a permit I was as good as they come. I walked out with the permit and a Deputy Sherriff's card both. No charge back then.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

Most lenate gun state
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 11:19:41 PM »
folks, it was a simple time i our lives-lordy i wish we coulda appreciated it more. i was tempted not to even get a permit but, living in a city and knowing that it was changing around me i figured it was better to go ahead an do it. in a city, the police are often not allowed to be as independant as other places--and also, the climate in a city IS a lot different than 70 miles away. these folks here got a tough job on their hands. i guess they react pretty good under the circumstances. lord knows i could not handle it as well as they do. i appreciate em. sayin all that an, well i like livin in town fer a lot more reasons than i don't.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline buckenbass

• Avid Poster
Most lenate gun state
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 03:50:25 PM »
Heckler&Koch  I live in NJ too and yes long and hard to get permits ..but unless your moving out of state the papper work needs to be done.. You can buy all the guns you want out of state but when you get back to this hell (NJ) you have to get them registered.. 30 days to do this i think and if you dont and some how get in trouble ...well now your a felon and cant get one at all ...so it might take a bit of time but get the papper work done. and where I am at there's about a 6 to 8 month wait time..
GOOD LUCK :D  :D
I have yet been able to shoot a 3 shot sub 1" group at 100 yards ...........on any deer!!!!!!

Offline williamlayton

Most lenate gun state
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 11:06:05 PM »
well the felons do not seem to have ANY problem gettin em-they well, er they have a problem postin bout over here. :-D
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD