Author Topic: First Remington centerfire  (Read 755 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
First Remington centerfire
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:07:02 PM »
I got my first Remington centerfire rifle this morning. I got a 243 ADL. Any other ADL owners here? If there is how do you like it? It seems to a decent rifle. I did however notice when put the bolt in and worked the action the bolt felt real loose. I am going to replace the stock on it. I just don't like the way it feels. 

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: First Remington centerfire
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »
I own Remington bolts in ADL and BDL.  I have an old ADL that is probably my most accurate.

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 01:01:54 PM »
Is it a new one with the synthetic stock?   I have a .270 Winchester that is currently an ADL and it shoots really nice.  The difference between an older ADL and an older BDL was the ADL had a blind magazine and the BDL had a "nicer" stock with a floorplate for unloading the rifle through the bottom of the action.  If you ever wanted to "upgrade" you could buy a new stock and the bottom metal hardware.  The rifle itself, however, is every bit the gun as the BDL versions.

It should be a good shooter, most 700's are.  I've got five of them now, most in "Classic" stocks, one heavy barrel in an H-S precision stock and one in a CDL stock (it is a CDL by birth, one of my classics is a "convert").  All are good shooters.  I've gotten too old to be a good shooter myself, but the deer and the crows still have to give me wide birth.

EJ

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:44:32 PM »
I got my first Remington centerfire rifle this morning. I got a 243 ADL. Any other ADL owners here? If there is how do you like it? It seems to a decent rifle. I did however notice when put the bolt in and worked the action the bolt felt real loose. I am going to replace the stock on it. I just don't like the way it feels. 

Congratulations on your rifle. The bolt play with it open, fully open is normal, but you don't make it clear when the bolt is loose or how loose  ???.

The only thing that puzzles me is why buy a rifle that does not feel right to you  :o why not buy one that feels good?  I understand this not feeling right and it's the reason that I don't have a Remington 700 as they don't feel right to me  :( .

It's not as if there is no other choice  ::)

I sincerley hope that your new stock cures this ill  ;)

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:35:40 AM »
Be aware that playing with rifles is addicting (if you didn't already know).  Might not hurt to take the rifle out and put a few rounds through it to see if your worries are substantiated or not.  There are several good aftermarket stock makers for sporter-weight barrel Remingtons out there, which is good because a lot of factory Remington stocks are made to cut cost, which in turn cuts quality.

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »
Brithunter:

I can understand what he means by he doesn't like the way it feels.  If it is a synthetic stocked rifle, it may feel, well, like plastic.  So, yes, I can understand that. 

I can also understand what you are saying about why buy a gun that doesn't feel right.  But, he has it now and if he wants another stock, then they are very easy to find for reasonable money.  He may also find that the stock will feel better if the gun shoots well.  And it probably will.

I would have (and I did) buy a CDL myself instead of the ADL.  If it had been an older gun, I probably would have bought it because the older ADL's had nice metal finish and pretty nice wood stocks.  The Wally World version had a laminated stock and was a good looking gun.  I haven't seen one of them in a while though.

EJ

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I bought this gun as I wanted a 243 so the wife and kids could shot. This is the only 243 I could find without having to order a rifle. I have lots of kin folk who swear by a Remington 700. So that is one reason I went ahead and bought the Remington as I knew if I took care of it it would last many years. I have and have had several Remington shotguns and rimfires and have never had a problem with them.
I knew when I bought the rifle that the stock was gone. I do not like synthetic stocks but that is just me. I have a Boyds stock on its way as we speak.
As far as the bolt when I say loose I meant that when working the action as in pulling the bolt back it seems real loose. It may have suppose to be like that. I have not messed around with  bolt guns in a few years levers and single shots have had my time so I don't recall if I have felt one loose. Seems to me it would have a tighter feel.
I will have a range report after Christmas as this little rifle is going to make someones day on the 25. :)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »
I knew when I bought the rifle that the stock was gone. I do not like synthetic stocks but that is just me.

Now that I CAN relate too  ;D as I don't like plastic stocks either  ;)

This is the only 243 I could find without having to order a rifle.

:o now that surprised me I must say. It makes me wonder is the .243 that popular that the rifels don't stay in stock? or is it that they're not popular so don't sell so the stores don't stock them?

Good luck with the Boyds  :) let's hope for nice grain  ;D and please post some photos of it wearing it's new wood.

PS... by Good luck with the Boyd I mean I hope it's a painless easy fit  ;) as the 25th is closing in on us fast!

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
I don't know what the deal was with no 243's. Most time you can find them pretty easy in my area. There is one place I go to I have never been in there without them have a ton 243 and 223. I went there when I was looking and they did not have none or many other guns for that matter.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
Great rifles!  I dropped my ADL into a CDL stock and I love it.  I recently sold all of my bolt action cenerfire rifles and it's the only one I have left or intend to own in the future.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~