Author Topic: accuracy and cast bullets  (Read 733 times)

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
accuracy and cast bullets
« on: November 09, 2009, 03:01:03 AM »
Just to make sure that this is appropriate for this forum, "Does a receiver sight make it easier to shoot cast bullets accruately? If so, is there a need to change the front sight on, say, a Win 94 if the rear were a Williams 5D?
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: accuracy and cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:31:20 AM »
As compared to open or buckhorn sights yes. A good tang peep is second only to a scope for accuracy and a good receiver peep is only a little behind that. You might or might not need to change front sight depending on how high the peep sets and what type front you now have.

Best accuracy wise is a globe front with interchangable inserts. Next best in my opinion is a fine bead.

The most accurate combination for me is a tang peep and globe front with a circle insert in place. That way you are putting your target inside two circles which the eye tends to naturally center.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 04:02:55 AM »
Thanks, Bill.  I had considered tang sights, I have them on others but just trying something different.  Thant and the fact that I believe them to be a bit slower to use than receiver sights due to the hand position.  I hadn't thought about a globe front and the circle insert.  Worth consideration.  Reason for asking is that I stumbled across this winters project, a mid 70's 94.  Rusty, pitted and seriously banged up. Looked like it had spent the night in the ocean then dropped into a tar pit.  While I was laughing at it, I peeked down the bore and the thing is pristine and the price was definately right.  Should have taken a before picture, oh well.  I have learned how to remove every piece, screw, spring and roll pin in a Winchester 94 (and put them back!) except lever assembly and seperating barrel from receiver.  I may even try that, I won't have lost much if I screw it up.  I figure I'll be tugging on Dee's sleeve for a while on this one.
Butler Ford

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 04:53:51 AM »
I have reciever  peeps on both of my marlins and I wouldn't change a thing about them, One has the factory front sight the other has a fiber optic insert both work great but the fiber optic is easier to see early in the morning. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:30 AM »
Thanks for that Bob, I already have a direct replacement size firesight on the way.  Figured I may as well replace the front while replacing the rear with a fold down adjustable leaf.  I HATE the rear on winchesters, that pointy sucker has caused me to bleed needlessly more'n once.
Butler Ford