Author Topic: Why do folks want low power scopes?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: Why do folks want low power scopes?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 04:10:13 AM »
I didn't think that you did, but the comment on rack evaluation could lead someone to consider that the scope can be used for "spotting" as well as sighting.  It's scary to think that someone could be evaluating me, but that is why I wear at least an orange vest.  I really can't believe the hunters wearing all camo, just waiting for someone to "evaluate" them with their riflescope.

Offline epanzella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 07:17:21 AM »
I didn't think that you did, but the comment on rack evaluation could lead someone to consider that the scope can be used for "spotting" as well as sighting.  It's scary to think that someone could be evaluating me, but that is why I wear at least an orange vest.  I really can't believe the hunters wearing all camo, just waiting for someone to "evaluate" them with their riflescope.
As to rack evaluation, what I meant was that you have already spotted a deer and are trying to evaluate the rack. A low power scope is a handicap for this if the animal is out a ways. Two more tines turn a 135 to a 150, but it's hard to tell at 200 yds with a 4x scope. Searching for game is for binoculars only and not a job for any riflescope. I hunt with my sons and we have indroduced many of their friends to hunting. A common mistake they make here in brush country is to see a deer at 50 yds (a positiv ID) and then use binocs to evaluate the rack. By the time they decide, they don't have time to secure the binocs and get the rifle on target. So, the rule at hunting camp is"once you've identified a deer, don't look at it with anything that doesn't go BANG". We say it tongue in cheek but it's good advice.  

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 07:22:24 AM »
Field of view would be a good reason to org. ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
I've hunted with about anything under the sun except the large ultra magnums.  I've always found that the more magnification the better I could see the target.  I have several low power scopes in the 1-4x power range, and I just can't see targets anymore that are over 150 yards very well.  I find that a closer sight picture of the target helps me to place the shot where I need to.  I have a 2-7x multishot on several of my 30-30s and I find that is not enough for me.  I have several 2-10x and one that goes up to 14x.  I find myself taking the 14x more, just so I can see the shot.  What is the advantage of low power scopes when you have failing eyes?  I know the lower magnification scopes have a greater field of view, but isn't that what binos are for?

30-30 man, you probably have not hunted while it is snowing. Your high power scope is useless in snow. Even my 1-3 and 1-4's have problems then with magnification of snowflakes.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »
Hmmmm well yes using binos when a deer is fairly close, 100 yards and under, can lose you the opertunity to shoot however a lost opertunity is far better than scoping someone with a loaded rifle  ;) and yes I have lost the opertunity of a shot because I was evaluating the antlers. It happened two years ago on a 6 pt Roe Buck in Hampshire. In Roe Bucks 6 pt is the normal mature head  ;).

There will other 6 pt Roe  and the chance of actually scoping someone there was almost nil as apart from the farm workers there was only us stalking on the place. I not only use 8x44 Binos but I also have a two draw telescope that is 20-60x magnification that I use for viewing deer and evalating the potential of them. It's useful for scoping Does as well and Bucks/Stags as here we have seasons just for Does.

Now as for for shooting with high powered scopes. Most people cannot hold anywhere near steady enough to actually see the target properly especially freehand. Off a Bi-pod or rest it's another matter and if you have time to use either of them you have plenty of time to use the binos  ;). About 8x is the most that your average shooter can cope with free hand, of course there are the minority who can hold much steadier and can actually use higher magnifications free hand, but if we're honest most of us cannot do it. I took a Pheasent off the field last evning using a .22 LR which has a 6-18x40 Simmons competition scope on it. The magnification used was 6 times and I shot through the open passenger window of the Jeep from the drivers seat resting both elbows. The shot was about 70 yards. Sure I could have wound tha mag up but only resting on the elbows is not the most stable of position so why complicate matters?