Author Topic: Got another woodchuck w/357  (Read 646 times)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Got another woodchuck w/357
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »
I shot another wood chuck today with my Handi 357, hand loaded 38 Specials with wad cutters. It has been gloomy for several days here - lots of rain too. Well today, it was sunny and warmed up a little. A woodchuck was munching on grass in my back yard - A big mistake.  I slipped out the front door and went around the house. there were leaves on the one side of the house, so I went down across the driveway and back up over the steps on the back side. I saw him as I assented the steps, I raised up another step and popped him off. He faced me, quartering away just a little. At the shot (which is real quiet) I heard the bullet whop and he rolled over on his side and that was that. It looks like it entered the right cheek and did not exit. Those wad cutters sure do a number on small stuff.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline BrianB

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Got another woodchuck w/357
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:29:24 AM »
What load are you using? What kind of accuracy?

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »
Sounds like you put a good sneak on him ;) Good shot. How you cookin him? BBQ ;D

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:10:18 PM »
Quote from: BrianB
What load are you using? What kind of accuracy?

Indeed!  If you don't mind, what's the data on that .38 wadcutter load?  Sounds like a great small - medium game load.

Thanks!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »
You have to sneak up on woodchucks around here, because as soon as they see you - they are off.  Even though he was facing me, he was too busy munching grass to notice. My load was 3.0 grains of Bullseye, Hornady hollow base wad cutter seated flush with case mouth, but not crimped and Remington 1 1/2 primers in Remington 38 Special cases. I can cut raged holes at 25 yards with this load and well under and inch at 50 yards (the practical limit for this load). I have chronographed this load at 875 fps for a 5 shot average out of my 22" Handi. When I shot the woodchuck I came back in the house and my wife asked if I got a shot, because she did not hear it. ;)  BTW I used a sling to help steady my shot which was about 30 yards. I have used this load for all my backyard pests, including skunks, raccoons, even chipmunks - it lays them low. I used to keep a T/C Contender w/23" 221 Fireball barrel by the backdoor for this kind of duty, now it is my 357 Handi.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:34:56 AM »
sounds fun , i know the pigs this  time of year  are  quick to see anything  ,i ve seen several  since they have been takin beans off in a hurry, i use that load for my ruger GP100 also wadcutters  are madeto cut holes in paper and  do so on pigs too!! hahaha

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:47:36 AM »
Good story!  My wife thinks they are cute and I have to wait unti she is gone.  I'll have to try that load.  Last one I shot was 22rimfire with just the primer material.  Chuck was head shot but bobbed all over the yard for what seemed an eternity.  It was less than 15yds too.  The hornet is still too loud for MY backyard so I dont use it.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 02:40:13 AM »
My wife let me shoot woodchucks, but she did not want me shooting any thing else, because they are just too cute and she did not want to see them killed. She said I could shoot them if she was not around and I could get rid of them before she knew about it, but I just never seemed to get an opportunity. I tried to tell her that they are destructive little critters, those raccoons and skunks. Well one morning we woke up and a few of her flowers were dug up. She quickly put them back into the ground, so they would not die before she headed out to work. She asked, what did that? I said more than likely it was a raccoon. The skunks had been digging up my backyard looking for snacks. The next day we woke up and even more of her flowers were dug up. She got real mad this time and said she wanted those critters dead. I obliged her. Most I have shot after sundown or early morning. I shot several raccoons and a couple skunks and a couple chipmunks. The flower digging went away. With the 38 Specials, I can shoot them at night and not even wake my wife up. My work hours change from time to time. Some times I work from 2PM until 12:00 AM, some times from 3:30 AM until 2:00 PM and then about half the time from 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM (my "normal" hours). It is not a swing shift, I am the Maintenance Supervisor, but if one of the Supervisors are sick or on vacation, I fill in for them. For the last week and 1/2 I have worked from 2:00 PM until 12:00 AM because the 2nd shift Supervisor is out with some kind of virus, but not H1N1. Not sure when he will return, but looks to be at least another week. So I got opportunities to shoot after I got off work at 12:00 AM and some times before work at 3:30 AM, when I fill in for 1st shift. One morning my wife got up with a Raccoon under one tree and a skunk under another. She never knew I shot them, until she saw them the next AM. I had been using a 221 FireBall to dispatch backyard critters, but even though it was not as loud as some other rounds, it was loud enough to wake someone up. So after my wife gave the go ahead I experimented with the wad-cutters for my "black ops". I would think a 30-221 shooting sub sonic would do a good job also. I would think that the bullets would "pencil" through, but would have a longer range than the wadcutters. The wadcutters just seem to go "whop" and they fall over, as long as you place them correctly and keep the range under 50 yards. After 50 yards their velocity drops off to a point I am not sure they would be effective + they are starting to shoot rainbows beyond 50 yards. I have mine sighted in at 25 yards. I had it sighted in at 50, but was shooting 2" - 2.5" high at 25 and it was difficult to get a bullet placed, guessing at range + hold over. I shot over the back of a chipmunk, at the shot he stood up, I reloaded - PoooooH (the sound of the shot), it was over. So I sighted in at 25, this seems to be a good compromise for shooting in the backyard and it seems more natural to hold over for longer shots rather than under for short shots, for me. 

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 03:48:56 AM »
good points.  Good stories.  And yet another use for the good ole 357handi.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi