Author Topic: bore cleaning mops??  (Read 409 times)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
bore cleaning mops??
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:24:37 AM »
 A friend asked me what's the MOP in the cleaning kit used for . I thought its purpose is to carry solvents thru the bore. He feels there is SOME other use for it. His Muzzle loader came with one BUT no brush.!(?) I have seen mops made of Wool and Cotton. Any preference for mop material? I use a wet patch to run solvent thru the bore, then dry patches. A lightly oiled patch IF the gun isn't going to be shot for some time finishes things.

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: bore cleaning mops??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:41:48 AM »
I have a couple that I use. I like a wool one with a light coat of preservitive oil. This is the last pass down the bore before storage. I use some cotton ones to sop the bore with solvent, but I think they likely don't put any more solvent down than a patch. They also get filthy dirty and need cleaned out after using them. On top of all that it takes a lot more solvent to get them wet, I won't be replacing them. For either use I think wool is superior, it doesnt hold as much liquid, but still coats well. I especially like them for the slug barrel though, I never feel like I get anything close to a tight patch otherwise. I'm way too concerned about cleaning (by my own admission) but its calming to me.

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
I do my cleaning with brushes and patches.  I use the bore mop with a spray of G96 Bore protectant or one of the other protectants to do a final "wash" down in the clean bore.  Keep the bore mops in a baggy so you don't get everything oily in your cleaning kit.  I also use a red shop rag with the protectant sprays to wipe down the outside of my guns before putting them in the cabinet.  Red rag has its own baggy too. 

These quick wipe downs with the protectants seem to keep my guns in better shape than before I started doing it, so it has become habit when cleaning or storing until the next season.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »
I've used them to apply solvents but long ago decided patches were superior for that chore. I've used them to apply lube to the bore after cleaning before storage and also decided patches are better for that. So what do I now do with them?

I use them for lapping the bore with JB Bore Paste and darn little else.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »
I do not use them in any rifles. I use a jag and a snug patch for solvents, oiling and drying my bores. Once in a great while I will use a nylon brush if the fouling is particularly thick. Most times I just run in a foam and let it work for a while, repeat until clean, some times I let it work over night. When I polish a bore with compound like JB or Flitz, I use an old wore out brush wrapped with patches until I get a snug fit to work up and down the bore.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.