Author Topic: I got my mount back!!  (Read 1521 times)

Offline ttank0789

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I got my mount back!!
« on: September 13, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »
I finally got him back yesterday! I was almost as excited as I was when I killed him! In order to qualify for the Buckeye Big Buck Club he has to net 140". I know next to nothing about scoring deer but I imagine he'll be cutting in close after deductions. I'm in the process of setting up a time to get him scored but in the meantime, what do you guys think?
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: I got my mount back!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 03:01:50 PM »
I'm in the process of setting up a time to get him scored but in the meantime, what do you guys think?

Congrats on a great Buck. I think he's very nice and has to go pretty close to 140. I'd be proud to be his shooter.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
very nice buck
congrats!
good job man

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:58:52 AM »
I think you will be fine, nice bone head
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 04:42:01 AM »
 Nice Deer. good job. If he dont score well, I will gladly take it off your hands ;D

Lonny

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »
Nice buck! What county did he come from? I'm hunting around Carrollton this year.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
I got him in southern Lorain County
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Offline lostintexas

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »
Did you get him scored yet?  There are instructions online that you can do yourself for an unofficial score and it's pretty easy.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 05:23:48 AM »
I haven't gotten it done yet. I'm having trouble getting in contact with a scorer in my area. I'll check out those instructions and see what i can do to measure him up.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 06:06:26 AM »
Well I just finished measuring him myself to get an unofficial score, and the results were disappointing. A gross score of 134 5/8" and a net score of 129 1/8". I don't imagine my measurements were off by close to 11 inches so I doubt he's gonna make that 140" mark...
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
Did you get him with rifle or bow. For Pope and Young record books (bow) he has to be at least 125 to enter, Boone and Crockett (rifle) I think is 150 to get in I am not sure on B & C. Buck masters way of scoring I don't think I like, they get some monster deer that come up with little scores I don't like their way. They have scored deer bigger than mine and had a smaller score I don't understand how the measure with Buck Masters.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
I got him with a slug gun
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline vmthtr in green bay

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
What great looking deer.  Looks like they did a good job for you also.

Mike

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »
My taxidermist is my cousin's wife and she does top notch work.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
That mount should remind you about how excited you were when you were able to make good shot on that buck, not a reminder that you barely missed the record book. If the reason you hunt is to make the record book, then you should take up bowling or golf and chase a 300 game or a hole-in-one. That buck you are so proudly holding in the first picture doesn't deserve an attitude like that!

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
read my first post. i said i was as excited to get him back as i was when i shot him. i don't hunt for the record book. i hunt for meat and because i have a deep love for nature, the outdoors, and my heritage. i enjoy every second i am out there even when i go numerous days without seeing a thing. i thought he would make the book and thought it would be kinda cool to have a buck in the book. the fact that he didn't make it doesn't make me any less proud of him. you don't know me and you don't know what my attitude is towards anything so don't tell me what my deer does and/or does not deserve.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 04:38:36 PM »
I was referring to your post #9, you are right, I don't know you, all I know about you is what you say in your posts. You said the results were dissapointing. Why did you put a tape on the horns if you were satisfied with the mount? Answer that HONESTLY!

Offline DavidKansas

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
 ;) ttank0789 I understand your thoughts on the record book and the deer, I have a wall down stairs full of racks and not one of them has been mounted( my choice) but I do remember each and every hunt as if it was yesterday. I have only had one rack scored and may have this years rack scored but I still enjoy looking at each one every time I head down the stairs. So do not let someone mess with you,just enjoy that great looking buck for years to come.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
i thought he would make the book and thought it would be kinda cool to have a buck in the book.
He is the first big mature buck that I killed and I wanted to get him scored just to see if he would hit that mark. Is there a rule that says I have to be unsatisfied with my mount in order to stretch a tape on it? I have a small 8 and a small 7 that I unofficially measured just to see what their score is. They were like 110 and change and 97 and change. Considerably smaller than the buck in the pictures but I'm still proud of them and look back on those hunts fondly.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 02:30:20 AM »
I'm sorry if i misunderstood what you meant when you said you were disappointed in the results.
Well I just finished measuring him myself to get an unofficial score, and the results were disappointing. A gross score of 134 5/8" and a net score of 129 1/8". I don't imagine my measurements were off by close to 11 inches so I doubt he's gonna make that 140" mark...

That is a darn fine deer that any hunter would have been proud to take.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 05:00:14 AM »
Disappointing may have been the wrong word. Maybe "not what I expected" would describe it better.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 01:10:22 PM »
Nice buck!   That's one for Ohio.     

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »
   I liked your reply to mirage1988. ;D  I have read your post 20 times and no where can i make it read that you are a trophy hunter or looking for a record book deer. I can't even find where you said you were not happy with the buck.
      bobg

Offline mirage1988

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 05:06:08 PM »
And you can't read where I apologized for misunderstanding him and congratulated him on the deer either bobg?

Sorry for stinking up your thread on a misunderstanding ttank.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 05:14:57 PM »
It's cool. Just glad it's over with. I'm not a fan of online bickering and arguing because it accomplishes nothing. Anyone can type like a hard ass even if they are just a little runt. And I'm not calling you one (this is coming from a guy who is 5'6" 135lbs. soaking wet!) No worries my friend.
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
I just read through this.  Great buck!!  Congrats.  I'd by real happy with one like that.  It definitely looks well shy of 140.  At a glance I was thinking around 130.  It takes quite some mass, tine length, and main beam length to get 140 net on an 8-pt.  Great buck!!