Author Topic: Bowling All Mortar  (Read 901 times)

Offline Hey Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
Bowling All Mortar
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
Has anyone ever actually calculated pressure for any loads with a bowling ball mortar ?  I've seen anecdotal stuff;  just like we did;  start with a long fuse and run.  After it works a few times it must be good.
It would be interesting to see how 3oz of 2f and a 16lb ball compare to the test data on an oxygen tank.
Joe
Artillery;  lending dignity to what would otherwise be a brawl

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Bowling All Mortar
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:30:38 AM »
It might be relevant, but the the tank body is note the pressure vessel, the chamber is.

3 oz, 2 Fg will generate more pressure than 3 oz of 1Fg,  but velocities will be about the same. 

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
With a powder chamber, the high pressure is contained in a thick walled vessel.

When the pressure moves into the large cylinder area, it should drop substantially.

I lack the motivation to do so, as I hated Statics and Dynamics and decided to become a fairly successful EE instead of an ME, but the calculation for pressure applied to the ball should be relatively simple.

Measure muzzle velocity and barrel length. force = mass x acceleration. Assume linear acceleration if you wish. Force should be guesta-calculatable if muzzle velocity is known. There will be some degree of error initially as the mass of the expanding gas hits the stationary bowling ball. I'll bet that is calculatable as well for someone that stayed with the ME degree program or someone with appropriate modeling software.

I'll stick with Ohms law and such.

The above problem could be converted into electrical parameters and I guess I could solve it using SPICE simulation program (current pulse and immovable inductance), but, well, I'll defer the entire issue to an ME.

Rick

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Based on frames from video, I would say I get about 100 fps from my barrel.  When you calculate the area of the ball and backwards from that the force, the pressure seems to be in the area of 1000 psi (that's one thousand psi), although that is an average.  At the beginning of the burn before the ball has gone more than an inch or two, it has to be higher.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Hey Joe

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:36:36 AM »
A technocrat knows and loves the technology;  a technopeasant knows there is a technology and he must live with it.  Was just trying to move up.  It works and it is fun.
Artillery;  lending dignity to what would otherwise be a brawl