Author Topic: AR takes a deer  (Read 737 times)

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
AR takes a deer
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:22:09 AM »
Was out hunting this morning for hogs.  Took my .223 AR with me as it is my primary hog gun.  I didn't see any hogs but did finally see a nice buck.  He was behind some trees about 60-75 yds away and after a stand off of a few minutes, he turned and walked to the his left.  I moved to my right, knelt down and waited for him to cross a small clearing.  As soon as he did, I put one through his shoulder.  The bullet shattered the shoulder and obliterated the heart and lungs (he was facing me slightly).  He ran about 20yds and expired.  So much for the AR not being a deer rifle.

Offline fr3db3ar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: AR takes a deer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
what size bullets are you shooting?
Aim Small, Miss Small

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:55:58 PM »
55gr Sierra GameKing SBT.  My handloads, originally for my Handi Rifle but they work pretty good in the AR as well.  It'd shoot the 69gr Partitions just fine, maybe better, but the Sierras work and are easier on the wallet.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
I used the same bullet over the past weekend to harvest this Arkansas whitetail buck using my retro 603

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:19:13 AM »
Nice deer and nice rifle.  It just needs a leather sling ;)

Don't let Swampman know about this thread, he'll tell us that our deer aren't really dead because we used something smaller than a .30 cal.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:27:06 AM »

Don't let Swampman know about this thread, he'll tell us that our deer aren't really dead because we used something smaller than a .30 cal.

don't forget that a rem700 has to be used otherwize your deer might not stay dead

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:38:34 AM »

don't forget that a rem700 has to be used otherwize your deer might not stay dead

;D  You guys cracked me up with these comments.  You should add that only a Remington is accurate enough take a deer.  You shots must have been lucky ricochets.