Author Topic: Smokeless ML barrel for Huntman or Sidekick ?  (Read 611 times)

Offline scottjge

• Trade Count: (3)
Smokeless ML barrel for Huntman or Sidekick ?
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:48:10 AM »
Is there anyone making smokeless powder ML barrels for the Huntsman or sidekick ? I thought I read somewhere that someone makes a barrel system for the Huntmans or Sidekick that used smokeless powder like the Savage ML. But then again I could be wrong. I have read so many articles on the this board and other, I can not remember for sure.

Anyone got any information on this subject ?

Scottjge

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Smokeless ML barrel for Huntman or Sidekick ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:35:46 AM »
SMI makes one that fits the H&R/NEF SB1 & SB2 frames. This would include the Huntsman, but not the Sidekick. I ordered one a few years back, but sent it back for several reasons. Most reports I have read have been from satisfied customers, but they obviously didn't have the experience I had or get a barrel like the one I got. My experience with the product was not good, but the owner was a stand up guy and returned my uncashed check after I returned the barrel. This kind of puzzled me as to why he had not cashed the check before sending the barrel, or during the several days after shipping. Maybe he was expecting to get his barrel back? It might have been a toad they were trying to get rid of? Anyway, I was only out about $25 for shipping the receiver to be fitted and then returning the barrel. If you would like a detailed description of the problems, give me a PM, I think I have a copy saved listing them.

Just make sure it is what you want before ordering, or make sure you can return it if you are not satisfied. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline scottjge

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Smokeless ML barrel for Huntman or Sidekick ?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:56:31 PM »
Hmmm, interesting !  That is probably why you don't hear anything about them.  Smokeless ML never caught on after the Savage ML. I thought for sure that everyone would jump on the band wagon and start making them.  Maybe there is a reason why everybody doesn't make them. The only advantage that I can see with them is the clean up, but I never minded the Black powder clean up. To me that is a part of muzzle loading. I was only interested in a smokeless system just to play around with. I have tried just about everything new over the years and was just thinking about Smokeless Muzzle loading , but for $350 and not have all the bugs worked out before you market it ! That is another story.

I checked out the website and the one thing that I did not like right off the bat is the twist rate of the barrel. But that is just my preference.

Thanks for the info,

Glenn