Author Topic: Tight primer pockets in Hornady 30/30 cases  (Read 676 times)

Offline coryroc

• Trade Count: (0)
Tight primer pockets in Hornady 30/30 cases
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
I'm fairly new to handloading and have started to reload once fired Hornady .30.30 cases (Leverevolution load).  I found that the primers I use (Remington 9 1/2) can't be seated in the Hornady cases when using my Lee hand primer.  The primer pocket seems to be too tight.  After using as much force as I'm comfortable with the primer still only sits about half-way into the pocket.   Has anyone had a similar experience?  Thanks. 

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: Tight primer pockets in Hornady 30/30 cases
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:59:38 PM »
It is not at all unusual to have tight primer pockets.
I have 44mag nickle and 45autorim that need extra push to get them seated flush.
Do you have a bench press? If you do get a ram primer tool. I know lee makes one as does rcbs. These seat on the downstroke, much more power[sometimes too much] and easy on the shoulder.
You can also get primer pocket reamers. These will size the pockets, not just clean them.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:00:34 AM »
It is not uncommon to have tight primer pockets.  If you are new and unfamiliar with the Lee priming tool, try rotating the case 90 degrees and trying to seat the primer again.  Once in a while the primer will start a little bit crooked.  If you rotate the case 90 degrees, it will straighten the primer out and it will go right in.  I found this out when seating primers in 5.56 brass that I may not have removed all of the primer crimp.

Make sure you have a little petroleum jelly on the levers and moving mechanism of your ram prime.  Makes it work lots smoother.  You will also get a little better feel of what the primer is doing. 

I have had cases that I had to use both thumbs to seat the primer.  You can put a lot of pressure on the primer with that tool.   If all of the primers are going easy, that could also be bad.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »
I don't recall ever having primer pockets so tight that seating a primer with the Lee Auto Prime was a problem except for military cases with crimp not quite fully removed. Heck I've even seated a few with crimp not removed at all tho that is a chore and was done only cuz I had it already started and was just too stubborn to lose the primer by knocking it out. I do knock out live primers but do not reuse them if so.

For me such a situation really wouldn't be a concern tho as I have the proper tools (powered even) to take care of the task of fixing it in a second or less per case. The RCBS power case prep center is an amazing tool. But Hornady now has a tool that both trims and does what the RCBS does all in one powered tool. I'm really anxious to get my hands on one and give it a try.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 01:28:38 PM »
I have used the same method that Steve P recommend, turning the case and the primer goes in.  I rather do that than force it in.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline coryroc

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
Thanks to all.    I'll try the suggestions and see how I go. :)

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 03:55:15 PM »
Had that problem with some old but unfired Herters 6.5x55 brass.Even buggered up the "cam" inside the priming tool.Can I expect them to open up a little after being fired once?

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
I use a Lee hand primer also.  I have found a good trick (someone told me) to take a pencil and ring it around the primer hole to add a little graphite lube.  Had the same problem at times with new cases until I started doing this.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles