Author Topic: ALLOY FOR 33 WIN?  (Read 372 times)

Offline shotgunner

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
ALLOY FOR 33 WIN?
« on: October 23, 2003, 01:59:54 PM »
Now that I have a beautiful bullet mold for my .33 I am wondering what is the best mix to use for shooting white tail deer. I have a lot of wheel wieghts, some linotype and pure lead. My thinking is that I want the bullets as soft as I can get them, as long as they don't lead. The bore on the 86 is clean and smooth. Has anyone got a recomendation? Shotgunner
NSSA member
past PSSA Vice President
Life member NRA
Father of 3
Hunter/ Trapper/Fisherman
Owner, Skyline Skeet & Trap
Gun nut
"Game butchery is as objectionable as any other form of wanton cruelty or barbarity; but to protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
ALLOY FOR 33 WIN?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 02:33:56 PM »
A mix known as Lyman #2 should prove to be great for hunting with that gun.Lyman#2 is 90%lead,5% tin and5% antimony,has a hardness# ~15.
  A mix of 9 pounds wheel weights and 1 pound of 50/50 bar solder= 10 lbs of #2.
  also, 4lbs of linotype,1lb 50/50solder and 5 lbs pure lead=10 lbs #2.
  for plinking any thing that melts will work.Serious target work maybe done with either straight ww's or the much harder linotype. Remember, the lino bullets SHOULD cast larger than the wheel weight ones.Slug your bore and get a sizer to match or .001/.002 over bore dia.  
  Did you get a 200 gr. mold? You can push a 200 grain bullet over 2200 fps! Soft bullets will probably lead the bore no matter what lube you use.
 Gas checks are definetly called for here.
   hope this helps ,jh

Offline The Cast Bullet Kid

• Trade Count: (0)
ALLOY FOR 33 WIN?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 02:34:46 PM »
http://www.schuetzen.net/norm_johnson.htm

Check this out.  
Very good.
Cheers

Jeff