Author Topic: One scope, multiple rifles  (Read 692 times)

Offline dross80

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
One scope, multiple rifles
« on: December 15, 2009, 05:28:39 AM »
Is it feasible to use quick release mounts and record settings, and use one scope for multiple rifles? Anyone have good luck with this?

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: One scope, multiple rifles
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »
This is wierd.  I was just over on Chuck Hawks website and saw this.  Are you looking over my shoulder?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/one_scope_2rifles.htm

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:50:17 PM »
I do it cause I'm too stinkin' cheap. It isn't the best solution but I have been making it work. My only suggestion is that the scope would need to be of a high enough quality to have repeatability on the settings.

I started out swapping between the AR15 and the slug gun. For one thing the hunting seasons for the two were not simultanious, and the AR15 had irons that were easily reattached. It was kinda hard to justify a nice scope for a gun that was usually only carried two or three days in a year, and never target shot for fun. Sold the 870 and started putting it on the 1895. The rings were not suitable so put on lower rings which aren't good for the AR15 but much better for the Marlin, so now a riser on the AR to get it back in line.

I would have no problem whatsoever doing it with two of the same model gun that is for sure, or even two of the same style. Picatinny or one piece Weaver bases to make sure the spacing stays the same.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:37 PM »
Hmmm seems a bit of a screwy idea to me  ??? even recording the settings you will still need to fire it to verify it's zeroed and do that every time you swop it over so after a while you will have spent more on ammo re-testing zero than another scope would have cost.

Plus you talking about some serious quality to allow all that turret tweeking without developing play and wear. Nope the more I think on it the more it seems like a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea.

But hey it's your money  ;)

Offline crawford769

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 02:06:01 AM »
i have thought about doing this on a couple of my encore barrels that i don't shoot too often.  since they would be the same kind of barrel and mount and i would use qd rings i don't think you would have to move them very much.   with a good scope the adjustment turrets wouldn't wear out, some people are moving them constantly prairie dog hunting without problems.   

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:34:11 AM »
Serious quality equals serious money and that is exactly why I want to swap them around. Sighting in before season is a given as far as I'm concerned.  As I can afford to permanently mount optics I am, but until that time it's " poor folks have poor ways", for me. Honestly I've had no issues with return to zero, my issue was ring height not optimized for the gun it was mounted on.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline tomf52

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »
I swap a scope between several different leverguns I have but do not change settings and only use the csope to check repeatability of ammo (grouping). All the guns have the same mount so there is nothing there to adjust. Otherwise, not a good idea in my book.