Author Topic: your favorite load for 7-30 waters  (Read 309 times)

Offline hop

• Trade Count: (0)
your favorite load for 7-30 waters
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »
please give your best deer load for the t/c contender 7-30 waters   14" bull             bullet ,gr.& manf. / & gr.powder & manf.  and primer,   30-30 formed brass    thanks   tom

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: your favorite load for 7-30 waters
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
  Federal Factory loads shoot to less than an inch thru MY 14" Contender. I haven't been able to find a load as accurate YET! Maybe a few feet faster,but NOT as accurate! This gives me some time for loading OTHER ammo in calibers I CAN get better accuracy than store bought!

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:04:07 AM »
RP brass
WLR Primer
WW748
Nosler 140 or 150 ballistic tip.

I don't have my ammo handy to pull up the exact recipe.  I started with several different powders and stuck with the 748 once I saw the sweet spot coming.  My 15" hunter barrel with 2x Leupold scope will keep all shots inside 1/2 scale chicken at 200 meters off the bench.  (about 3" group.)  Check book loads for 748 and work into the max end of the scale.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:14:20 PM »
140gr Hornady BTSP, Nosler BT, or Rem CL
Winchester case
Win-WLR primer
RL-15 powder

I worked the load up for a handgun only hunt in Wisconsin, being I was driving up from the Gulf Coast of Texas and only had a few days to hunt, I didn't want to have a trophy walk out at 150 - 200yds and only be able to look at him. The load shoots around an inch at 200yds from a rest, and is nickel sized or less at 100. I have taken a few hogs, a couple of squirrels, and a 150# doe at 283yds with it and dumped her on the spot with the BT's. Moving at the slower velocities they are rally an awesome bullet for this caliber, within the limits of around 1700fps. From there you will still get a double caliber expansion at least, depending on what they hit.

The only issue I had was working this one up in cooler weather around the mid 70's  and then getting a sticky action when temps get up around 85 or so. I need to reduce the charge once I load up more, but if you work them up yourself you should hit a great load easily within normal data. I am still within the data, but at the very top end, and I also think my bullet being seated close to the lands is what is effecting me the most. But I have a hundred or so loaded and plan on seating some of them down to see how much it will vary the impacts. If things hold, I will wait until warmer temps get here again and check them out for pressure issues.