Author Topic: Great Buy's  (Read 472 times)

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Great Buy's
« on: November 19, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »
I think everyone has got some great buy's from time to time.

What are some of your better buys????

This past summer I went to a estate sale having heard the guy was a reloader, he had taken shot out of the bags and put it in plastic jars ea jar held about 17lbs the guy running the sale wanted top $ for a 25 year old pacific press $150 and just about everything else to do with reloading except the shot I bought 21 jars mostly 7.5 and 8's for $1 a jar.

I think the best sale I ever got was from a local Wal Mart 8 box's of Federal Safari grade 338 W/210gr Nosler Parts $8 a box they just kept marking them down every week by 50%.

I have had a number of others like when Sierra bullets moved out of Socal to Mo. they had a parking lot sale first weekend it was high 2nd weekend about the same but the last weekend they sold mixed bullets in 5 gal steel pails for $20ea I bought 2 pails it took me at least 12 years now and then going thru them to sort out.

Lets hear some of your buys
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Great Buy's
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
Far and away the best handloading buy I ever made. I got

4 boxes of factory Hornady .204 Ruger ammo
300 pcs. of once fired Hornady .204 Ruger brass with ammo boxes ..$15 to my door

My guess is thats somebodys somebody was pixxed off and let it go for shipping.

Also got an RCBS Trimmer II with all the pilots for $12, extra cutter head too. Plus $3 shipping.

Got buckets full of handgun brass from the local range...for free over the years. Nowadays the same guys that let that stuff lay are whining about the lack of available ammo.

Bought two sets of .358 Winchester dies, one Lyman and one RCBS from the same guy, $20 total for both. Sold them off for $20 each and they were like new. The guys who bought them from me got good deals there.......

Also bought
800 pcs. of component bullets of .224 cal - 55 gr. Vmaxs, 52 gr. TNTs and 55 gr. Sierra BKs

10 lb. of powder

all full new boxed stuff for $160

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
Years ago when I bought my 7-30 barrel I stopped at the local Gander Mtn. looking for, Sierra 130 gr SSP's.
The clerk had a hard time understanding that he should look under pistol bullets because you don't use that style of bullet in pistols, then He told me that they didn't stock anything like that. A couple of months later right after Holiday Station Stores bought out the local G. M. they were having an inventory reduction sale.
So I would stop every other day just to see what was going on. One day I heard a guy say "What kind of pistol do you shoot these in?" I looked and there were 10 boxes of,  Sierra, .284 dia, 130 gr Spitzer, SSP's  #7250
each marked at $5.95. I told the guy, "in a 7-30 Waters Contender". I still have 5 unopened boxes left. This is absolutely the best deal I've ever fallen into.

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
I got my best deals on auction sites; Ebay for 357max IHSMA nickel brass for $10 box for 2 boxes and seller emails me if I want more, ended up with 10 boxes of brass,  won 380 fmj bullets for reloading on GB and seller included 500 rounds of new and once fired brass.

Offline Idaho_Elk_Huntr

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
I went to an Estate sale last spring. I bought 4 cases of Lapua 300 Win Mag brass, 2 Rock chuckers, scale, 40 boxes of bullets and 4 boxes of odds and ends, dies and such for a whopping $300

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:50:34 AM »
Last spring I made a regular stop at a rural shop run by a very nice fellow.  A buddy and I stop in reguarly for supplies and usually spend a decent amount of time chewing the fat with the owner.

Knowing I am always in the market for used reloading supplies, on this particluar day, he offered a large recycling bin full of reloading supplies for $50.  He added that a older lady brought them in.  They were her husbands who had passed away sometime ago and she didn't know what to do with the items.  A quick look at the equipment revealed that they had been stored for some time and were dirty, greasy, with some items having surface rust.  Even so, the items were well worth more than the amount asked.  I suggested that and asked if he wanted to reconsider the offered price.  He graciously said no, that not many of his customers would want to bother with doing the rehab and thought I would.  I agreed and paid the $50.

After arriving home I inventoried everything and found the following;

- 6 sets of dies including RCBS and one set of Pacific w/shellholders
- RCBS 505 scale
- Rockchucker Press
- Pacific C press
- RCBS Trickler
- Loading blocks
- Misc open containers of powder (disposed of)
- Misc accessories

Everything cleaned up very well and looks well taken care of.  

I don't know who the gentleman was that previously owned the items and probably never will (our friend, the shop owner, unexpectedly passed away a couple months afterward and the family closed the shop) but his old reloading gear will be very appreciated, well taken care of and used with repect.

Not long afterward I picked up both an RCBS A2 and Pardner Press from another shop for $50.  Both were dirty, but cleaned up nicely.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 04:45:26 AM »
I have made a lot of great buys.  My buddy has made even more (like bullets molds for $1 each at garage sales).  My buddy recently was talking to a guy who said he had a Remington Xp-100 he wanted to sell.  Since we are silhouette shooters, my buddy was all ears when the guy said $400.  Sure he would take it.  He went to pick up the gun and it was in like new condition.  Also included 3-400 rounds of loaded ammo.  Like number of empties.  Probably 1000 bullets...................AND a free box of stuff for bullet casting which included a Lee production Pot, several good molds, AND a Star Lubrisizer with associated dies and punches.

I recently got a like new, in the box, ruger single six with 9.5" barrel for $150.

A few years back I was going thru one of the local sporting goods stores and I see a "clearance" bin.  I look in there and it is mostly grunt, but way in the bottom under a bunch of stuff are black boxes of Nosler bullets.  Hey, I thought to myself, what are these?  I picked one up.  Yellow sticker said $2.99.  For 50 Noslers?  Yeah......I don't recall how many boxes were there, but at least 20.  They were 7mm 120FP.  Nosler made them for Federal for one of the early runs of 7x30 waters ammo.   I bought 'em all. 

I have picked up quite a few Wal-Mart red tag sale items.  Winchester 22-250 box of 50 for $15.  7mm Mag Federals for $10 per box.

There are deals out there to be found.  I am hoping the pot at the end of my next rainbow is full of LEAD.  I am going to keep buying wheel weight since they will soon be a thing of the past.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline woodchuckssuck

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 07:29:35 AM »
My LEE challenger single stage press...bought used off a guy for $25 shipped...hard to beat that deal, as it is still in good shape.

OH, and, amid the primer scarcity of this past spring, I got 1500 LP and 1000 LR primers for about $60 :) They were older stock, but no one had ANY primers in stock at the time...I knew I would never again see primers that cheap...