Author Topic: Addig a Screw in choke to and cutting down a pardner  (Read 845 times)

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Addig a Screw in choke to and cutting down a pardner
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:22:37 AM »
I have a pawn shop pardner that I would like to do some work to.  I want to cut the barrel down and reface it, and then ream and tap it for screw in chokes.  I am looking to rent the tools to do these mods, but have some questions.  1) I didn't see a "barrel cutting tool" on any of the tool rental sites I visited.  I have heard of folks using pipe cutter and of course hack saws but was wondering if there was a more proper way?  Does it matter what cut method I use if I would be renting the muzzle facing tool as well and the cut is halfway decent to start? 2) I'd like to tap it for the rem chokes, but see tools (reamer and tap) for rem choke and "thin wall" as well.  I would assume that the standard rem choke tooling would work, but just wanted to verify.  3) Where is the best place to rent these tools?  (4d looks good, but are there other good rentals as well?)

I will be cutting the barrel to 18.5 inches.

Thanks,

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Addig a Screw in choke to and cutting down a pardner
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
I had a 20ga done a couple years ago.  It was done by a gunsmith and he used TruChoke made for thin wall applications.  He did a nice job and it worked well.  I would check with a couple sources to be sure the Rem chokes will work in your application.  My 2 cents!!

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »
I see you're in AV?  What smith did you havedo the work?  I work in Bloomington but live nort...
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:23:39 AM »
I do some gun "tinkering".., but I feel that what yer fixin to attempt is better done by a well equipped gunsmith who has experience with installing chokes...if the tap that cuts the threads is not properly aligned..Neither will be your choke..
Who wants a gun that doesn't shoot where its aimed..Not me! But anyways I wish you good luck with it.. ;D
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline TYM2MOTR

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
I remember seeing this awhile ago...some info here for the cutting part.  I don't know if there is a video for installing choke threads though.  You might want to check out the main MidwayUSA YouTube page...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43odFm0mrI

Offline kingj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:53:18 AM »
I did a similar project.Used a chopsaw and cleaned it up with a file. As far as the tubes,I think you would be be off having a smith do it.
I sent mine to Colonial Arms. It uses .795 x 44 true size tubes,the same as Biakals(Remington Spartans).
Character 24 hours a day 7 days a week !

Life Member NRA
.357 Handi
.35 Handi