Author Topic: Stupid move, need advice  (Read 654 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Stupid move, need advice
« on: November 24, 2009, 06:29:27 AM »
I just started reloading again after several years. I have been very frugle buying reloading equipment. I have bought mostly used items and most have worked well. I bought a set of 270 dies and when I received, the resizing die turned out to be a neck sizing die. I sized a case and tried it in my new Marlin XL7 and it chambered OK. I loaded up 30 rounds with two loads to try. I decided to check them before going to the range. I usually don't think this much and just drive several miles for nothing if things don't work out ;D. Well the loads are way to tight. The bolt is to tight. I ordered a new set of full length dies and a RCBS bullet puller last night. After pulling the bullets and getting the powder out, what is the next step. Can I resize the case with the primers in them. If not, how can I get the primers out . Thanks, Don

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Stupid move, need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »
What brand of FL dies did you get?

If the deprimer peg can be removed, you may be able to swing it.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 06:59:46 AM »
Might need to check the OAL of your brass too. Pick up a trim die while you're at it.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »
I have decapped lots of live primers [not crimped]. Easier to just pull the pin and size it. You could stuff the empty primed case into the gun and fire it.  Carefully, rifle primers put out a significant blast.
Get a cheap chinese venier scale [looks like a monkey wrench with a dial] and check the length of sized cases. A cheaper way to check length is to make a gague out of a piece of sheet metal. Always wear your glasses, and don't reload any drunker than you would while driving.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
and don't reload any drunker than you would while driving.

Ouch! bad joke,,,
found elsewhere

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »
just pull the decapping pin off of the stem and back the stem off a few turns. that will size them and open the neck back up without wasting your primers.
blue lives matter

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »
I just started reloading again after several years. I have been very frugle buying reloading equipment. I have bought mostly used items and most have worked well. I bought a set of 270 dies and when I received, the resizing die turned out to be a neck sizing die. I sized a case and tried it in my new Marlin XL7 and it chambered OK. I loaded up 30 rounds with two loads to try. I decided to check them before going to the range. I usually don't think this much and just drive several miles for nothing if things don't work out ;D. Well the loads are way to tight. The bolt is to tight. I ordered a new set of full length dies and a RCBS bullet puller last night. After pulling the bullets and getting the powder out, what is the next step. Can I resize the case with the primers in them. If not, how can I get the primers out . Thanks, Don

Just ajust your de-capping stem up till it does not make contact with the primer and FL size as normal , that way you don't have to waste any good primers or worry about punching out a live primer , this can be done with any brand of dies that I know of .

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline doninva

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:40:13 PM »
Bought RCBS dies. I have a good pair of dial calipers and a L. E. Wilson trimmer. I was hoping I could remove the decaping pin or adjust the die to not deprime the cases. Thanks for all the good advice. Don

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
By the way, it's not a stupid move.

It's a learning event.

(still have a dozen 222 rem to pull here)

Offline doninva

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
I reloaded about 10 years and should have checked better. I did learn but I still feel stupid for doing it. Don

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »
I have been reloading for 30+ years and did it earlier this summer.  New dies, new .243 and used brass.  Set the die to FL size in my press, loaded my rounds, and went hunting.  Dies were not set right.  Shoulder did not go down far enough and I had a tough time getting my ammo to load.  I had to sort thru it to have enough to carry with me on the hunt.  Left a lot in the box to shoot later.

Recently got my press, my dies, and my rifle.  Got the fired brass and sized it.  Tried it in the chamber.  Still a little tight.  Turned die into press another 1/32nd to 1/16th of a turn and tried again.  Did this a couple of times before the bolt closed easy.  Die and shell holder are meeting tight and press handle is camming over.  I am close enough where I should probably have .001" or .002 removed from my shell holder or the bottom of the die.

Never again will I size brass for a hunting gun without having the gun available when setting the dies up to size the brass to fit my guns chamber.   Good lesson for all levels of reloaders.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002