Author Topic: Topper Deluxe Classic 20g...realistic turkey gun?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline guvnor

• Trade Count: (0)
Topper Deluxe Classic 20g...realistic turkey gun?
« on: November 29, 2009, 05:10:47 AM »
Ive been thinking of picking up a TDC in 20 gauge to use as a turkey gun.  I have a messed up shoulder and the regular pardner in 12 or 20 gauge would be too much kick for me to handle.  I figure the TDC with the stock hole filled with lead shot should be around 7-8 pounds or so which should make recoil tolerable.

But ive been told that shiny guns are a no-no for turkey hunting.  Does the TDC have a glossy finish that might spook birds?  Or is it more matte black like the regular pardners...

Thanks for the help!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Topper Deluxe Classic 20g...realistic turkey gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:24:36 AM »
The TDC barrel is heavier than a regular 20ga shotgun barrel, in fact a regular forend won't fit it without some sanding. I have one with a synthetic monte carlo stock that works great with a Limbsaver prefit pad, no weight in the stock, comfortable to shoot with 1½oz loads while wearing a t-shirt, feels about like a 30-06.  ;) I'd really like to see a tom while hunting with it, 2 dry years in a row now.  :-\

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,142452.msg1098569267.html#msg1098569267

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,173474.msg1098816320.html#msg1098816320
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:35:44 AM »
Sure.
I would use heavy shot #4's in a 1 oz load.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
I would certainly use it. Don't worry about the shiny part either, turkey's seem to pick up more on movement than shiny colors. I hunt turkeys with a 20 gauge Pardner with shiny stocks. Like Tim I've been dry for 2 years now so I can't comment on performance of the 20, the last turkey I killed was with a 12 gauge Pardner.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »
I painted the TDC frame flat black on mine, don't care for bright anything when turkey hunting, I even bought dark framed glasses!  ;D

Tim

Offline gustmouse

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
    • new-england-hunter.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 12:28:01 AM »
Maybe use some camo tape on the barrel and take it off when your done hunting turkey
I use 2 3/4" heavi-shot #6 in my 20 gauge while turkey hunting (only a 2 3/4 chamber)
a little mote shot and has the weight of #4 lead shot
Keep it around 30 yards and the 20 will do fine with hevi-shot in #4 or #6
The bird I shot this fall at 30 yards looked like it got hit by a frieght train using Hevi-Shot, pricey but worth it for turkey hunting

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »
I'd give the Federal Flite Control Heavyweight ammo a try, I get great patterns at 40yds thru a full choke with the #7 which has the same energy as #5 lead, the #6 works great too in a Tru-lock turkey choke, but I didn't try it in the full choke which is what Federal recommends. I did shoot a #7 load thru my modified Pardner, it was much better at 35yds than any lead load at 20yds. ;)

Tim

Offline cappyduane

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »
There is no shiny reflection problem when Tom is looking down the muzzle. I've hunted ducks with shiny Remingtons all my life. Dead ducks tell no tales (of reflection).

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 11:03:29 AM »
Unfortunately turkey hunting ain't duck hunting, toms don't always cooperate and come in from downrange, I've had em circle around and come in directly behind me, have to wait for them to go behind something so I could move to get into position for a shot, having any bright equipment is a sure way to get busted.  :-\

Tim