Author Topic: resizing .270 brass to .280  (Read 1179 times)

Offline mam4061

• Trade Count: (0)
resizing .270 brass to .280
« on: November 19, 2009, 08:08:23 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has ever resized (expanded) .270 brass into .280 brass.  I tried a couple pieces with my hornady dies and it seemed to work okay, but I am a little scared to try and reload them until I hear from somebody who has done it before.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: resizing .270 brass to .280
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:51:02 AM »
Why would you be afraid? You're only opening it from .277" to .284". That's about the smallest change you can make really. It might come in a wee bit short but the neck on both is plenty long enough so no concern there really. The only thing I might be concerned about would be if you own rifles for both and get the ammo mixed up.

A .280 Remington made from a .270 case will fit into a .270 Win. rifle but the results of firing it would not be nice. It likely wouldn't be as disasterous as some mix ups that occur but it wouldn't be good. If you have both I'd not do it but if you don't then go for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »
I believe that the 280 has a slightly differeny shoulder than the 270 or any of the other 30-06 family.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd270winchester.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd280remington.jpg
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:27 AM »
Billy is correct.  The 280 is a little longer to the shoulder.  The .270 will fit in the .280 chamber but the .280 will not fit in the .270. 

You can make the .270 brass into .280, but it would actually be better to make your .280 brass from 30-06.

Here's why:  The .270 brass is shorter so it won't headspace properly in the 280 chamber.  Just opening it to .280 and firing it will cause it to stretch.  You will eventually get case head separation.

In order to get 270 brass to headspace in a 280, you have to put a "false shoulder" on the brass.  To make a proper false shoulder, you need to open the case up even more which means using a .30-06 or .308 die.  After the case is opened to .308, use the .280 die to resize the brass.  You want to set your .280 sizing die to size the neck only enough for you to just just just close the bolt in your rifle.  Did you get that?  A .30-06 wont chamber in a .280.  As you size the 30-06 neck down to 280, the case will start to chamber.  Size a little more and it will go in a little more.  If you look at the brass, you can see that little shoulder in the neck starting to form.  Keep sizing the neck on the brass until your bolt will close.  Now set your die and size the rest of your brass.

The brass will headspace properly in a .280 now and your first shot will cause the shoulder to "fireform" to your chamber.  Use a mild book load load for these fireform loads.  After the cases are fireformed you can then load up your .280 loads.

Anytime you make "wildcat" brass (brass is used for something different than headstamp indicates) you want to make sure you mark the brass so you will know.  I paint some of the case heads black, especially if the ammo being made looks similar to the original case.  I make 7.7 Jap, and one of my other 7.62 European cartriges with -06 brass.  I paint the case heads black so I know they are not -06 and I make sure the ammo box has BIG writing on it to indicate the ammo inside.

Last year my two hunting buddies and I stopped at a "rest" area along a highway to our deer hunting spot.  Nice lake that folks camp at and/or picnic.  While we were having a sandwich, my buddies son asked if he could shoot his rifle since he had not shot it for several weeks.  We were alone and it is a safe area so we said sure.  The kid gets into the truck, pulls out his 300 WSM rifle and his blue ammo box.  We are standing at the front of the truck eating a sandwich and he is at the back of the truck getting ready to shoot.  Next thing we know he is pounding on his bolt trying to get it to close.  Can't get bolt to close.  We came back to check it out.  My buddy tries to get the bolt to close.  No luck.  I pick up the ammo box.  Hey, did you put one of these in your gun?  Yep!  He put a .280 into a 300 WSM chamber.  Dad and Son both had blue ammo boxes.  Neither had marked their box with the ammo name.  The 280 was longer enough and smaller in diameter enough that the brass case was actually crammed into the rifling.  We had to use a cleaning rod to get the round out of the chamber.  First store we came to I purchase a permanent marker and marked their ammo boxes for them.

Hope this helps some.  There are lots of things you can do with what you have.  You just have to do it right and keep it safe.

Good luck with your ammo and make sure you mark the box!!

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline 95Road King

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
If you do go ahead with your plan be SURE to mark EACH case with a felt tip pen of the caliber!!! I just made some .270"s from 30.06 cases and I marked each case twice with .270.

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
What kind of problems if any might be created if one were to carefully grind off caliber information on the headstamp with a Dremel tool? I know a guy that does that and I've often wondered.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »
Steve is correct. The .280 is .050 inches longer at the shoulder to prevent chambering in the .270. Yes you can do what you asked if done properly and fix the excessive headspace issue, but why. New .280 brass is available and far better with no chance of mistaken identity. I always start with new brass of the correct type.

Offline 95Road King

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
Grinding off the stamped caliber on the rim I think would weaken the rim. On reloading you could pull the rim off coming out of your die, causing a stuck case!! I wouldnt do it.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »
I run them through a 280 die and fire form them with a light cast bullet load and trim them if nessisary and there good to go. Why? Because I find 270 brass left at the range all the time. I detest 270s but hate to let the brass go to waste.
blue lives matter

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 06:02:06 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has ever resized (expanded) .270 brass into .280 brass.  I tried a couple pieces with my hornady dies and it seemed to work okay, but I am a little scared to try and reload them until I hear from somebody who has done it before.

Yes you can.  You can soft set the bullets.  Seat bullets longer than overall length for the soft seating process.  This will finish seating the bullet in the case and start into the rifling as your close your bolt.  This will create a headspace and your brass will fire form for the 280 Remington chamber.  As stated above for you must use a minimum load.

No worries, the 280 Remington cartridge cannot chamber in a 270 Winchester chamber.  I use 30-06 Springfield and 270 Winchester brass for a lot of wildcats and I have zero problems, because I only touch my ammo.  If you are just as careful, the dangers are zero.  I have been reloading for over 25 years and still going with both eyes and all my fingers.

yooper77

Offline Emmett

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »
    Steve P. is absolutely correct with his detailed explaination. I made plenty of .280 casings from .270 brass many years ago when the .280 round was virtually unheard of. It should be run into an '06 die to expand the neck, then into a .280 die to set the new shoulder and tried in your rifle until you get bolt closure with a little resistance. You want to seal off the chamber area with the new shoulder to fireform.
      As far as grinding the .270 headstamp off, I wouldn't do that. The painted or Magic Markered cases is far easier to do, and undoubtedly safer too. If you have some old 7mm bullets laying around that haven't shot well in a particular gun, now's the time to use them up fireforming the new casings....