Author Topic: A 500 Handi, homemade bullets & backstraps!  (Read 853 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
A 500 Handi, homemade bullets & backstraps!
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:21:20 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I climbed into my stand before daylight this morning and about 9:30 I saw two deer pop up over a hill and immediately disappeared into the thick brush. I kept watching for them but to no avail. About 11:00 I looked to my left and saw deer legs walking, way back as far as I could see in a patch of pines. I got my Handi ready and about 10 minutes later I saw a deer head peaking out of the pines about 100 yards away. I crancked the Burris 1.5-4 all the way up and shouldered the rifle. The deer was at a very small opening and I knew that if he stepped out it would be a quick shot. After about a minute of holding the rifle and waiting he fnally stepped out and exposed his shoulder and my home cast Lee 440 Gas checked bullet was on it's way. The buck instantly dropped at the shot and started kicking, I looked down to quickly reload and when I looked back up he was gone, remember there was just a very small opening where I could see him. I got down out of my stand and slowly walked toward the location where the deer was hit. When I was almost to the spot, I heard him down the hill to my left about 20 yards. I quickly got in position and gave him one more to finish it. The first shot hit high breaking his spine, not good for the backstraps, the finishing shot hit right beside the first shot and came out it's lower part of the neck. I'm not to pleased with my shot but at least he's hanging and cooling out.
This is the first deer I have ever taken with a cast bullet and these are the first bullets I have ever cast. The bullets did their job very nicely but the shooter didn't put the first shot where it should have been.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: A 500 Handi, homemade bullets & backstraps!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:28:32 AM »
Congrats, looks like good eatin to me!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
The shot looks good to me Slu. ;D  Happy Thanksgiving buddy.
If I keep hearing all these good stories about the 500 I might have to break down and get one!
What are the specifics of your load if you don't mind me asking?
If I do buy one I'll have to reload to afford the ammo. :D

Spanky

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
Looks like the shot did what it was supposed to do!  When we having supper ;D  Great job Slufoot and Happy Thanksgiving.

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline gomerdog

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »
Nice shooting! A kill is a kill, but I think you learned a lot from the experience. Not much reason to be disappointed.
"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:22:13 AM »
Nice story and a nice deer Slufoot, what you have expierenced is a great traditional New England Thanksgiving. A chilly morning hunt, ending wath a deer hanging, and a great Thanksgiving dinner. Congratulations buddy, you did good!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
Thanks for all the nice replies folks and for not being too hard on me for a less than perfect shot! :)

What are the specifics of your load if you don't mind me asking?
If I do buy one I'll have to reload to afford the ammo. :D

Spanky, I've been reloading my ammo for about 27 years and just started casting my own bullets about 2 weeks ago. I know what you mean about not being able to afford 500 factory loads. Heck, I can't even afford to buy the bullets to reload for it. ;D
Load consists of Starline brass, CCI-200 primers, H-4198 powder and bullets cast from wheel weights in a Lee 440 grain mould with a Hornady gas check and Lyman Super Moly lube.

Nice story and a nice deer Slufoot, what you have expierenced is a great traditional New England Thanksgiving. A chilly morning hunt, ending wath a deer hanging, and a great Thanksgiving dinner. Congratulations buddy, you did good!!!....<><....:)
Thanks MSP, I've never heard it called that but that is exactly what my day will consist of! :)

Offline guns-o-fun

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:55:56 AM »
Congrats, Slu!  I think you just convinced me (again) to carry my 500 this year when I go into the thick stuff.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »
Congrats Slu,  That's a pretty good poke i'd say.  Deer are a tough animal, my son had to put two 300 grain XTP's through a small doe this year with a Handi 45/70 to put her down.  Both vital hits and the load chronographed at 2300 with that 300 grn XTP.

LM
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
GOOD JOB!!!

Its like icing on the cake.. first you shoot them with your own re-loads.. then you even make the bullets and STILL bring home the bacon!!  VERY satisfying!!  Pop was the first to do this with my 500 a couple years back!! So I know what you mean!!

Personally, I'm hoping to beak-in the 32-20 this weekend.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
A very good "Happy Thanksgiving" hunt :D  Normally, on Thanksgiving, it's which deer do I want.  This year, I saw none.  Oh well, tomorrow.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »
Slu Congrats on the deer. The important thing is you found the deer and dispatched it quickly there after. I only saw 1 today and jumped it, it was off over a hill before I had time to react. My kid saw 7 or 8 when he finally decided they weren't gunna come into shot gun range and he got out of the tree stand to put a stalk on them he jumped one that was bedded near his tree stand and that one ran the others off. One of those darned if you do darned if you don't situations.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
 Slufoot
 Good job. Good bullet + Good shot =  Good eaten ;)

Lonny

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
Great job and thanks for sharing. This is an encouragement to those of us thinking of casting. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 04:28:19 PM »
Good shooting and that's a fine looking rifle you have too.

Happy Holidays!

Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »
Nice job! Nothing like getting a deer on Thanksgiving morning, that's great.

I missed hunting this morning, I love hunting on Thanksgiving morning. I took this whole week off to hunt like I do every year but I got the swine flu last Friday. Yesterday was the first day I felt OK enough to go hunting but toward the end of the day I got real tired and had to pack it in early and go take a nap. I felt crappy this morning and didn't go out. I'm planning on going out tomorrow morning since my Mom fattened me up with plenty of turkey today :)
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Tallwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 06:05:04 AM »
That is a great deer, and a good story. Thanks for both the story, and the pictures. I like the sighting set up that you have on your .500, and would be interested in more details, and close up pictures.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 06:31:03 AM »
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,131059.0.html

This is the link to the scout setup that Slufoot put on his 45-70 Handi. I think he used the same setup on his 500 (I could be wrong)
The pics. aren't working but it tells the details.

Spanky

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »
Congrats Slu,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 11:47:48 AM »
i  have  that  same  mould
got  some cast  up  but  not had  time to load and shoot any

tell  us about  that scope and mount
also  the  peep
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 01:19:05 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words folks! A few of you have asked about my sighting setup on my 500, so here's what I've done.
I installed a Williams WGRS peep sight with a twilight aperature, the front sight is the factory plastic >:( fiber optic. This will be changed to a steel fiber optic front sight before next season. The scope base is a Weaver 92A for the T/C Contender. I didn't use the factory rear sight holes on this one to mount the base because the Burris 1.5-4 handgun scopes' eye relief wouldn't allow it. I had to move the base more forward on the barrel to get the proper eye relief and I just drilled and tapped the barrel and installed the base. I used Weaver 4X4 rings to hold the scope and if the need to use the peep sights arose, all I would need is a coin or the back of my knife blade to remove the scope.  I really like the variable scout scope setup, it stays on it's lowest setting incase a quick close shot presents itself and if I need to take a longer shot I can crank up the power. Another thing I really like about this setup is that I never have to worry about getting a bad case of "Scope Eye" ;D!
I also took the factory swivel stud out of the forend because last year I shot three deer with this gun and my left index finger wound up bleeding after each deer due to the swivel stud hitting it from the recoil. I installed an Uncle Mikes shotgun barrel clamp swivel stud and had to use a little bit of epoxy to keep it in place as the recoil would let it move forward without the glue, this has solved the finger bleeding issue and the gun also carries better when slung.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot