Author Topic: How do you carry?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline dougk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Driftwood TEXAS
How do you carry?
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:15:17 AM »
I am looking a the various options for concealed carry. What have you found as your preferred carry method for warm or cooler weather?

Thanks
Doug

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: How do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:37:14 AM »
When I am in the woods, a good belt holster.  The plastic paddle holsters are good if you have to put on or remove your rig often.  I like an inside the waist band holster for concelled carry, especially in hot weather, when an un-tucked shirt is often all you have.  There are a lot of high riding belt holsters, as well as shoulder holsters that work well when you are wearing a jacket.  If I am wearing baggy pants, I often just slide a little something in my pocket...

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:06 AM »
 ;) Mostly I use just a belt holster for my model 60, something similar for my 1911, but usually this country is pretty cool. So much of the year I have a long shirt, vest or jacket to cover my weapong. Plus, if it is very warm open carry is legal in this state, so I just do that. I realize this is not the normal situation... ;)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:18:36 AM »
When I carried it was in a fanny pack as I was riding a Bicycle and it looked right. Sig P230.
When I would take walks in Coyote areas with the dogs... Right front pocket of the jacket.
In warm weather I would tuck a Walther TPH (yes a 22LR but it was for Coyote 4 legged not two)into an inside waist band holster and clip it in the back pocket of my shorts and wear my shirt out.
When I was fearing for my life, after my car was stolen and the guy that stole it friend's were trying to get me not to testify I was carring my P226 in a strong side holster.  his friends met me at my front door with base ball bats to try to Talk me out of testifying.  I pulled out a SIG and now have two base ball bats, never played the game.

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
I carry  a 38 revolver on my ankle , Inside the waistband with a simply rugged holster. The small of the back with a uncle mike's holster. I also have a lcp 380 in my pocket.
Eph2:8-9

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:55:06 AM »
I use a strong side Fobus paddle.  In the cool weather I'll carry the .357 under a jacket and in the warmer weather I'll carry the .380 under a big Hawaiian shirt.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »
I use a Hip-Grip on all my 2" snubbies. Most comfortable method of concealed carry I have found.

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:05:26 AM »
If it is a really HOT summer day and I have shorts & T-shirt on most likely, I will carry the Airweight 38spl in my front pants pocket, using a pocket holster to keep grip squared up. I wear those with cargo pockets a lot and they have nice size pockets.

I also will carry a Glock sub-compact model 29 on my left side, drawing it in a cross draw fashion, especially handy when sitting in a vehicle. I do not like shoulder holsters in warm weather.......pain in the rear ok.

Once the weather turns back down into the low 80's and below, I will carry a Glock model 21-SF on the right hip side, along with a backup on the left side. I NEVER carry a pistol in the small of my back, to do so is asking for a possible bad situation to happen.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »
The PPK goes in a pants pocket---sans scabbard.
All others go in the waisteband--sans scabbard.
scabbards--we don't need no steenkin scabbards. ;) :-*
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 02:53:03 AM »
I like in pant holsters but mostly I use either a bianchi #5 black widow or a bianchi #15 minimalist for just about everything.  I sometimes use a bianchi clam shell shoulder rig for the Mod60 when I'm in a suit or a horizontal shoulder rig for the PPk/s.  When hunting I use a Bianchi 7100 accumold for my SW29s or a bianchi flap for my SBHs. 

We should do a thread on all of the holsters we have in our holster box that we've tried and don't use and why.......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 04:33:55 AM »
We should do a thread on all of the holsters we have in our holster box that we've tried and don't use and why.....

I bet it would be interesting! Every now and then I find holsters I forgot I had. Some were given to me, some issued, some bought. Some of those might have an interesting history, maybe even best left untold.
My carry method depends on many factors. I carry IWB, OWB, or pocket just depends on many different factors.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
Well, one holster style I don't use is the ankle holster.  I have several, gathering dust.  Even when I was way younger and could touch my toes without cheating, I never liked the way they felt when walking, let alone trying to run.  A lot of different techniques for making a fast draw, but none really seem to work that well without leaving you exposed or off balance.  When I was a uniform cop, I always carried my duty weaponon my belt, and usually a Walther ppks in my coat pocket, and a freedom arms mini .22 mag on a dog tag chain, around my neck with a lanyard ring attached to the butt of the gun.  In the summer, the Walther was in my pants pocket.  Never needed either, but I knew a few guys who did need their back up weapons.  When I first started, before the Dept. authorized security type retention holsters, I knew a couple old time guys who carried empty guns in their holsters when working possible hostile crowd conditions, with a second, fully loaded .357 in a jacket or pants pocket.  A lot of cops still get killed with their own weapon.......

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »
S&W model 36 38 special in an inside the waistband holster. I am a small framed guy and it absolutely disappears when I am wearing an "untucked" shirt over it. I carry it when wearing shorts, jeans, slacks or whatever. It is a steel frame gun so it is pretty heavy for a small gun but I am so used to it now I don't even notice. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:58:48 AM »
You can't get it out of a pants pocket if you are sitting down in the car.  I have carried over 30 years IWB.  It seems to work the best for me.  I sweat too much to carry with no holster, in fact I will sweat through and rust a gun in a leather holster IWB.  So it's a Blade tech plastic holster for me, saves the gun, is light weight, holds it shape for re-holstering.  Buy your pants one size larger than you would normally.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 02:43:40 AM »
My Model 60 rides in a OWB pancake holster. I carry my P11 inside my waste band using Kel-tec's belt clip. And sometimes my wife's Charter Arms hammerless Undercover model get's dropped into my pants pocket if I'm wearing loose fitting Chinos or cargo pants.

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
I had a super-tuck from crossbreed, and I could carry a full-sized cz-75 at work with just a t-shirt but I had to have the holster on JUST RIGHT, and I had to have my belt TIGHT, however it was extremely uncomfortable and all that tension with a heavier gun and tight belt broke the snaps on it, started to wear out the holes in the leather and when those holes got rough it would squeak... so I trashed it

that being said, I don't usually carry a full sized gun anymore because being so super-stiff with my posture really doesn't make anything easier (except wearing out my knees and back).  IF I do carry a full size, I use a regular belt slide holster but between my right buttcheek and hip I skip a belt loop so the belt isn't looped where the gun should go for strong-side carry.... which allows me to tuck the whole holster into my pants like an iwb but with my jeans pulled down just enough on the edge of the holster that I can't snag my pants easily at all, and that works great but you CANNOT really trust a shirt to cover that one up, missing a loop and having your pants slightly pulled down will look really odd unless you have a very long shirt to cover that when you bend over.  If someone stares hard enough they might figure out when you missed a belt-loop.

method two I use when I don't feel like wearing a bellyband at the gym, or if I'm going to REALLY be moving around and don't trust a belt rig to not show, and that method is to use an extremely small, tight-fitting pocket holster and I wear it over my crotch-- just wait, it gets better,-- I wear boxer briefs, over those I wear regular briefs, and between the two is where the pocket holster goes... believe me if you try this with a snub no one will EVER have any idea, of course you need to tighten your drawstring with shorts, belt with jeans/pants, and make sure you adjust your package well before you go out or people are going to think you have herpes because you dig at yourself so much... don't use any weapons with sharp/unradiused sights

option three is to use a regular belt and holster as a bellyband (works much better than the real thing, assuming you can still breathe) and that works for full sized guns as long as they have a flat profile (1911 GI will do nicely) but it'll settle between your ribs so you better use a very stiff and wide belt (be sure that the belt-buckle doesn't show through your shirt, and if you sweat alot it won't work, and you'll get pit juice in your slide)

Offline jimster

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 07:36:55 AM »
IWB in warmer weather, OWB when cooler.

scabbards--we don't need no steenkin scabbards.

And quite a lot lately, I've been shoving them in my waisteband when running out at night somewhere...and I'm starting to find out I don't always need a holster either.  I do believe williamlayton is on to something here.

Jim

Offline bearmgc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 05:12:32 PM »
IWB in summer. Coat pocket carry in winter.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
357    front pants  pocket  24/7   well  18/7

some times a pocket holster
rearlly  a belt  holster

home made  bellyband  for   the  5 inch  44mag  smith
when  i want a real gun
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Squib

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
we all ought to move to arizona and walk around with a rifle slung over our shoulders  :o

cry about that liberals!

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »
I like my Kel-tec .380 in my pocket holster for winter and summer. Need to do something about carrying in the car as you can't get it out while buckled. Usually remove it and have it in the seat next to me covered up. But thinking about just keeping another gun in the car in some type of mounted holster.
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline Squib

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 08:30:05 AM »
if you're able to reach the pedals with the seat moved back, and clear the steering wheel (depends on the vehicle and driver, should be easy in a big truck though) then swing to the passenger side and twist your legs to the driver door, so you're sitting with your left shoulder to the door, then draw... of course that only works if you're a right handed driver.  works for me usually (in practice, I've never shot like that)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »
Hip pocket in a "billfold" holster.  In Ga. even with CCL it must be in a holster.  If I carry my Beretta, it's in a cut away holster that is just enough for a belt clip, worn inside the waist.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »
SIG 239, IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I have been using a 1 1/2 double bullhide belt and it makes quite a difference on how tight the belt now has to be. Really like this rig,
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »
I like and have used IWB, pancake Uncle Mikes #2 OWB.  But mostly I use a Bianchi #X-2000 shoulder holster, under a vest or under a large Hawaiin shirt,(top three buttons open).  I also have a belly band for my Colt 1903,  .32 pocket pistol for when it is hot.  I tried walking to a friends with a double barrel shotgun here in AZ, funny thing though, no one offered a ride. ;D
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 12:22:55 AM »
Dadgone liberals.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Squib

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2009, 05:03:27 PM »
rawhide, you should have flagged them down  :o

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »
Funny thing is, no one would make eye contact :D ;D
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
i  have  ridden  my dirt bike to the woods
with  my rifle slung  over  my shoulder

got a lot of  looks and stairs .... but  no problems
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline BIGDAVE54

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
I carry my  FNP .45 ACP in an Uncle Mikes vert. shoulder holster and a Charter Arms 14 oz.(empty wt.) 38 spl. in a pocket holster. In the winter months I wear a coat or jacket..in the summer I wear a tight and tucked tshirt with a 3x outer square tail shirt over the t. I always leave the outter shirt unbuttoned unless the wind is blowing...then button one or two buttons to hold the shirt closed,but give me access to my rig. I am a corn fed baby with a 52 in chest and try to keep a 38 in waist. I don't have printing problems sofar.