Author Topic: Pardner 12 ga. Mod. and rifled slugs  (Read 598 times)

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pardner 12 ga. Mod. and rifled slugs
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Has anyone tried shooting the rifled slugs or Brenneke slugs from the basic Pardner 12 ga with a modified choke? I want to take a buddy hunting, and he is on a tight budget, but we can get a shotgun a a few boxes of slugs for $100.  I was wondering if these could be aimed and shot out to 40 yards with sufficient accuracy for deer hunting? 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Pardner 12 ga. Mod. and rifled slugs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:52:13 PM »
That should be a great deer gun out to 60-75 yards. I have shot many slugs through smoothbore shotgun barrels and many of those were through modified choked H&R's/NEF's. In fact I prefer a modified choke for slugs through smoothbores since they have proved to be the most accurate for me (and others as well). I suggest you try some inexpensive Remington (Sluggers) or Winchester 2 3/4" Forster style slugs. I prefer the old European manufactured Brenneke 2 3/4" slugs but you cannot get them any more. Stay away from the 3" or Magnum slugs, they are not needed for deer. Also if you get a deal on some of the managed recoil slugs they would be worth a shot. A shotgun throws a big piece of lead with a lot of power and energy deposited into the target when they hit. Also, out to 60-75 yards the bead is all you need for deer. Remember, aim small, hit small....all the best to you and your buddy. And if you can get a modified 20 gauge for the same price I say go for the 20 instead of the 12, the 20 has all the power you need for deer, and less recoil. I have them both and am starting to lean more and more to the 20 over the 12 but the 12 still rules as far as raw power and would be preferred as a bear gun, but for deer I suggest the 20....<><....:)   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:21:53 AM »
+1 on the 20ga. Plenty of power without all the recoil.I took this buck this year with my H&R 20Ga at about 15 yds. DRT,he never took another step.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 02:29:41 AM »
Thank you for your replies. It's a go. We'll get the shotgun.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:38:16 AM »
I have deal in progress with a another GBO member for a 22" 20ga mod barrell Thats gunna become a slug gun. My 16 year old son has taken over my 12ga slug gun for deer season this year, but thats okay because my recently accuired 20ga Trackker II has proven itself on both deer and a coyote.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga