Author Topic: Strong Firarms Co. 8 gauge Signal/Salute Cannon  (Read 4693 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Strong Firarms Co. 8 gauge Signal/Salute Cannon
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 05:58:23 AM »
According to Cannon-mania, the reports are 124.6 and 121 decibels, respectively

I've shot both many times and there's definitely a difference in the report, in terms of pitch or frequency of the sound.  The 10 ga. makes more of a high-powered-rifle like noise, and the 8 ga. is a lower pitch. 

"Bang-Boom" if I try to put it as Gary might.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
Hey, Cannonmn, I assume that there's a magic number that the Strong gun seller just might reach, maybe even sometime this century, that you'd be unable to resist, (you know "The Godfather" bit, an offer you just couldn't refuse) and I want to take this time to inform you, that if this scenario does happen to come to fruition, I've got a splendid proposition for ya.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »
Here is my replica salute 8 gauge cannon.. Barrel built by Powder Keg and carriage by lendi from DICW.. I got this this put together at a great price.. At the time I had the choice between brass or steel.. Just wanted it to be a little different and went with the steel.. Thinking about now I should went with brass.. But all in all it's a fun piece..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqgL89c8OA

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 08:38:50 AM »
I assume that there's a magic number that the Strong gun seller just might reach, maybe even sometime this century, that you'd be unable to resist

I'm not interested in that particular cannon, myself, but if someone had something that I needed for my collection, they should start talkin'.

Offline AnarchyPrep

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
I happen to know the owner of this Strong and have sold him some Strongs and Browns, several of which are pictured on Cannon-Mania's site.  He actually has quite a collection of cartridge cannon some of which are very unique and probably one offs.  The guy who makes the repop Strongs that Cannon-Mania used to sell has made me a couple of the 8's and a couple of napoleon styled 10's in highly polished brass that are simply works of art!  The reason he doesnt supply David any more of them is because he is in the business of manufacturing assault weapon accessories and guns and as you might suspect, that business has really mushroomed in the last couple of years.  He simply doesnt have time for the cannons anymore as the market just isnt big enough for any volume.  He is an artist with brass and has recently made me another 10 ga napoleon for a carraige I had made about 1/4 scale.  I have been after him to make a 1 or 2 gauge replica of the big Strong but he simply doesnt have the time anymore.  Sells all over the world and is travelling a good deal of the time.  Hard to take when an artisan strikes it big in business and moves on.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
Howdy, AnarchyPrep; post some pictures of your possessions, we love to ogle ordnance.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »
Here is my replica salute 8 gauge cannon.. Barrel built by Powder Keg and carriage by lendi from DICW.. I got this this put together at a great price.. At the time I had the choice between brass or steel.. Just wanted it to be a little different and went with the steel.. Thinking about now I should went with brass.. But all in all it's a fun piece..

Thanks for posting the vid again, Ed; I really like the gun that Wes made for you, and hadn't seen it for quite some time.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 08:50:11 AM »
I assume that there's a magic number that the Strong gun seller just might reach, maybe even sometime this century, that you'd be unable to resist

I'm not interested in that particular cannon, myself, but if someone had something that I needed for my collection, they should start talkin'.

Well, wait a second, my whole scheme revolves around that particular cannon, or to be more precise, around that particular carriage. OK, I'm going into stealth mode, I'll be sending you a PM that provides the details of my improbable proposition.

Offline Sunrise

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »
I've shot both many times and there's definitely a difference in the report, in terms of pitch or frequency of the sound.  The 10 ga. makes more of a high-powered-rifle like noise, and the 8 ga. is a lower pitch. 

"Bang-Boom" if I try to put it as Gary might.

Thanks for this. It's always better to hear from someone with personal experience, rather than relying upon a chart.