Poll

Which would you pick for deep concealment?

NAA mini revolver 22 Magnum
8 (24.2%)
American Derringer .45 Colt/.410
25 (75.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: If you had to choose betwwen these two  (Read 2434 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: If you had to choose betwwen these two
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »
Well let's keep this concealment to reality.
If you don't pronounce what you are doing concealment is about as easy as your confidence.
Folks don't notice you as much as you think they do.
If you do as the song says--"just act naturally" --it is suprising what you can do.
I know that I have carried my PPK into some pretty strange places--just in my pocket, covered by a money clip---I am talking about in the days of TIGHT clothes---without a concern.
I don't know that I have ever been made. Anywho, it never caused any reprocussions.
Todays business climate may be different---you have to decide.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 03:30:59 AM »
One of my main concerns is how safe it is when it is in the safe condition.  Your NAA is really safe with the hammer down in a notch between the chambers, there is zero chance of an accidental discharge.  My 38 Derringer has a hammer block safety and half cock, also near zero chance of an accident.  Last month a guy in the Mall here dropped an automatic down his pants and shot himself in the leg, I don't know more detail, but it was sort of embarrising to him, so I guess there is a better chance of a problem with an automatic with one up the tube than with mine.  I know there are more steps to go through to shoot what I have, but I am not sure it is really a bad thing.   Guess I will just have to avoid any quick draw contests.  I also have a nice little 25 acp, but there is no way I would carry it with one in the chamber relying on that little slide safety.  Sounds like an accidental discharge at work would probably be more than a little problem for you, so I think these consideration would far outweigh anything else.  Larry

Very good points Larry and that is one of the main reasons I went with the NAA for work carry in the first place. Everything in life is a trade off unfortunately so I went with the safety and concealability aspect of the mini despite the small caliber. In an ideal world a 1911 would be nice but there is absolutely no way I could get away with that where I work. The .45 derringer also has the safety aspect going for it and has much more punch but only has 2 shots. I've pocket carried a J-frame for many years and in my opinion it prints too much to get away with at work. I ruled out the Kel-Tec sized autos a while back because I'm not a fan of having only 1 finger on the grip. They're very concealable but not very shootable for my big hands which is how I came up with the options shown in the poll. The poll results show that most people would prefer 2 shots of something big over 5 shots of something small.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 04:25:21 AM »
When I was State Cop back in the 80's, I always carried a Freedom Arms 4 shot mini .22 mag revolver, usually on a dog tag chain around my neck and under my shirt.  Smallest, deep concealment, "get off me" gun I could find.  Kicks like a little mule, and spurts a foot long flame.  It was a last ditch emergency gun, and only that.  If you took the time to actually line up those little sights, you could hit a paper plate at 15 yards, most of the time.  My other back up, the one to go to if I lost my duty weapon somehow was a PPK's, that always rode in my pants / coat pocket.

I have shot a few derringers, but never owned one.  Although the larger caliber is good, they are just not, in my opinion, a good choice.  To large / bulky / heavy for the 2 shots they offer, and hard to hit with.  There are better choices around.  The kel Tek .32 weighs, if I remember right, like 6 ounces, is flat, and easy to hide.  Reliable.  It is easier to hit with then a derringer or mini .22, and the .32acp, loaded with good bullets (cor-bon, federal hp) is a decent performer.  I have one, and I carry it in the summer when wearing shorts and a Tee shirt, and anything larger would be hard to conceal.  By the way, I have huge hands (size 19 ring is tight) and I have no problem with my Kel Tek.  The mini .22 mag was the one that was hard to handle.  Anyway, there are several other good choices out there in this size and caliber range.  But to answer your question, ultimate concealibility would go to the mini .22.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:26 AM »
If you are unable to hide a full size 1911 or similar sized gun, you need to change your wardrobe.  I am 5'8" and have worn a Para Ordnance 5" double stack P16-40 10mm conversion to church and to the beach with no trouble at all.  Unless your work dress code requires you to wear a bikini, a full size gun isn't a problem.
Man, I'd love to see you on the beach with that concealed 16-40!  I suspect your "Piece" may not be as concealed as you think. If you get a lot of winks from the girls, you may have been "Made" LOL !
I hear these comments occasionally on proper concealment wardrobe. "Gangsta" style clothing is likely not appropriate in the OP's work place. In any environment requiring a tucked shirt, you might get away with a medium sized gun with a concealment "T" or a belly band, maybe even "Thunder-Wear". Anything beyond that, would be "Iffy" at best. Certainly not worth gambling your job over. Any one who's carried concealed for any length of time, has multiple guns and carry systems to allow them to carry undetected in most environments. This is one of those situations where one size doesn't fit all, no matter how you dress.
Savage

www.crossbreedholsters.com

I wear a Crossbreed Supertuck and can carry a S&W SW40GVE .40S&W in just jeans and a t-shirt.   No pattern and I've never been made.  Over-sized or  "gangsta", as you put it,  style clothing not required.   

Quote from: OP
having a job that I like very much so I don't want to jeopardize my income and providing for my family.

Hate to say it, but if this line were true, you wouldn't be choosing to break your employers rules in the first place.  You are jeopardizing your income and providing for your family when you decide to break the rules.   I'd think long and hard about carrying somewhere you're not supposed to.   Not only could it mean your job, and I'm not sure what state you reside in, but unless it's Vermont, you likely have a license to carry concealed.   Get made in a place where you were not supposed to be carrying and jeopardize having that permit taken away.   In my personal situation, I can feel for you.  I prefer the responsibility of self-defense, but I am a federal employee.   If I were to carry at my work place and get made, I'd lose my job, probably spend a year in lock up and likely lose my CC permit.   

Is there anyway you could leave it in a vehicle and carry to and from work, but not actually in your workplace?   

Offline Savage

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 06:50:55 AM »
J, I haven't tried a "Tuckable", but carry frequently in an IWB with an untucked shirt. With a large gun, I'm betting I can spot either one. There are certain motions and positions that cause a gun to print. Of course body size, body shape, carry position, grip size, and clothes texture/fit all are factors. Some are more easily spotted than others due to those factors. Spotting concealed guns becomes second nature when your life may depend on it. I doubt that more than 60% of people would notice open carry in casual passing.  That doesn't mean that Jane Doe isn't going to bump into your piece at the water fountain and spoil your little secret. My point in my previous post was: a small, light, flat gun conceals easier than a large one, regardless of dress. And yes, there are places where weapons shouldn't be carried. It's up to the individual to decide if it's worth the risk.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
J, I haven't tried a "Tuckable", but carry frequently in an IWB with an untucked shirt. With a large gun, I'm betting I can spot either one. There are certain motions and positions that cause a gun to print. Of course body size, body shape, carry position, grip size, and clothes texture/fit all are factors. Some are more easily spotted than others due to those factors. Spotting concealed guns becomes second nature when your life may depend on it. I doubt that more than 60% of people would notice open carry in casual passing.  That doesn't mean that Jane Doe isn't going to bump into your piece at the water fountain and spoil your little secret. My point in my previous post was: a small, light, flat gun conceals easier than a large one, regardless of dress. And yes, there are places where weapons shouldn't be carried. It's up to the individual to decide if it's worth the risk.
Savage

I understood your comments completely.  My advice would be to try a Supertuck.  You can pretty much put it anywhere on the waistband that you want to, to get it to hide the gun perfectly no matter your size or shape. I'm 5'7" and 175 with, admittedly, more love handle than I'd prefer.  ;D   I wear it about 4 o'clock and I can bet that you wouldn't spot it on my even if I bent down and tied my shoes.  Check youtube for some video's on the Supertuck.   They are really the cats pajama's, IMO.    There's also a video right on Crossbreed's website.   The person in the vid is wearing khaki pants and a regular golf shirt, which could be standard issue at any job.  He puts arms up, bends over, twists at the waist.....the gun never patterns, although, from what I remember (can't watch it at work) he may be carrying a compact.

My comments on the other issue were more precautionary than steadfast.  I don't personally know Doublebass73's situation or where he works or who he works with. If he honestly feels like he needs to carry in spite of the rule, that's his call.  But, in general, it's a pretty bad decision to knowingly break the rules.   Ignorance of a rule will sometimes, and only sometimes, get you out of a situation.  But knowingly breaking the rule, which he's already admitted to, will almost always get you in trouble.   And we're not talking about stealing food from the work fridge.  We're talking about a gun, here.   People tend to over react when a firearm is involved.    Looking at his profile also, I now see he's in New Hampshire.   I live in NY, which is pretty liberal.....but anywhere in the New England states, getting in trouble with a weapon is typically more hassle than it's worth in my mind, again, because right or not, people blow things waaaaay out of proportion and become irrational when a firearm is involved.     

Aside from all that, I chose the .45 for carry.   I never liked the idea of carrying a rimfire for personal protection.   Unless you buy the expensive match ammo, rimfire ammunition on the whole is unreliable at best.   There's always a few that don't go bang.....not a good situation when you really need it to go bang.

Offline Savage

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
J,
It's good you have confidence in your carry system. I still maintain any fullsize gun carried on the waist is not as difficult to detect as holster manufacturers would have you believe. (The appendix position seems to be the best) 
I'd never recommend a rimfire for a defensive handgun.  There are lots of .380s and 9mms (Even some .40s) that are as small or smaller than their rimfire counterparts.  I won't address further, the issue of when and where to carry, as that's an individual choice. Let's just say if I had to carry in deep concealment, I wouldn't choose to carry on the waist, and the gun wouldn't be a fullsize.
Savage

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
I do have confidence in my system, and that has nothing to do with what Crossbreed says.  :D

As far as the rest of the conversation, you have not said anything that I don't agree with.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
Hate to say it, but if this line were true, you wouldn't be choosing to break your employers rules in the first place.  You are jeopardizing your income and providing for your family when you decide to break the rules.   I'd think long and hard about carrying somewhere you're not supposed to.   Not only could it mean your job, and I'm not sure what state you reside in, but unless it's Vermont, you likely have a license to carry concealed.   Get made in a place where you were not supposed to be carrying and jeopardize having that permit taken away.   In my personal situation, I can feel for you.  I prefer the responsibility of self-defense, but I am a federal employee.   If I were to carry at my work place and get made, I'd lose my job, probably spend a year in lock up and likely lose my CC permit.   

Is there anyway you could leave it in a vehicle and carry to and from work, but not actually in your workplace?   

Your points are well taken. I actually followed the rules and didn't carry at work until an employee who was fired came back and made some serious threats. Serious enough that they hired an armed security guard and posted him at the front door for a while. When that happened I made the decision that it was worth the risk to carry on my person despite the rules. I can't count on 1 security guard to protect me in a building as big as the one I work in. From that point on I decided to weigh the options and carry something small. A rimfire doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy but it's better than nothing and the chances of getting made are slim. I do keep a .38 J-frame out in the car but that's useless if something were to ever go down inside the building. I decided I needed something despite the rules. It was worth the risk to me to at least have something.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »

Your points are well taken. I actually followed the rules and didn't carry at work until an employee who was fired came back and made some serious threats. Serious enough that they hired an armed security guard and posted him at the front door for a while. When that happened I made the decision that it was worth the risk to carry on my person despite the rules. I can't count on 1 security guard to protect me in a building as big as the one I work in. From that point on I decided to weigh the options and carry something small. A rimfire doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy but it's better than nothing and the chances of getting made are slim. I do keep a .38 J-frame out in the car but that's useless if something were to ever go down inside the building. I decided I needed something despite the rules. It was worth the risk to me to at least have something.
That's exactly the type of situation that I would consider carrying an acceptable risk.    Good choice to accept responsibility for your own safety.   Can't think of a reason why any employer would take your rights away, but I guess the same could be said for some State gooberments.   ::)

Good luck with your situation.  Let's hope you never have to draw it.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
I think the NAA is still your best bet, I like my 38 Sp. but I have also considered the 22 short NAA because it is smaller.  In any case, you can bet, that if you ever have to use it, the guy sitting next to you will be your new best friend when he sees you pull it out.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 04:14:36 AM »
I find most people to be oblivious.  Unless you say or do something at work to make people suspect you might be packing (such as talk about guns, read gun magazines in the break room, have NRA posters on your office walls, etc.) most people won't be looking for a gun.  A compact .38 or 9mm coupled with a quality IWB holster is easily concealed by a sport coat or untucked polo shirt (if this type of dress is apropriate at your place of work. 

I have walked around in stores openly carrying a .J-frame in a OWB pancake holster (open carry is legal where I live) and I don't think a single person even noticed I had a gun strapped to my hip.  I think even if people in your office see a print under your jacket or shirt or even get a quick glimps of a pistol grip most will assume it's a cell phone or PDA.   Consider this... how many times can you recall spotting someone carrying concealed in your day to day interactions with the public?   In all my 47 years I can recall maybe 3 occasions where I for fact know I spotted a concealed gun and I'm sure I'm looking more closely that the average Joe.       
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Savage

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 04:39:16 AM »
I find most people to be oblivious. 
I have walked around in stores openly carrying a .J-frame in a OWB pancake holster (open carry is legal where I live) and I don't think a single person even noticed I had a gun strapped to my hip.  I think even if people in your office see a print under your jacket or shirt or even get a quick glimps of a pistol grip most will assume it's a cell phone or PDA.         
Exactly!
That's why so few are spotted by the average person. They are just largely oblivious to their surroundings. Most any level of concealment works around them. And, of course most persons don't carry a large gun when proper concealment is a must. Although a lot can be spotted by a trained eye, the proper carry method and location with the right clothing and gun size can be tough if not impossible to spot. I should also add, one gun and carry system does not work for all occasions.
Savage

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 01:52:40 AM »
I have found that "hawiian" shirts cover well.  The colors and patterns break the printing problem.  In the waste band or belly bands both work well.  For those that haven't tried in the waist band, wear the next size up in pants.  IE if you wear size 32 waist then wear size 34 when you carry.  Have to have room for you and the gun or it will be hard to draw & replace. 8)  Oh, and don't buy into Kydex in the waist band, heat from a hot gun goes right to you.(fire a mag full and holster, did it once, just once) ;D
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman