Author Topic: Product Test Page Reviews  (Read 15900 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Product Test Page Reviews
« on: May 14, 2003, 05:15:40 PM »
Since the new Home Page still doesn't have all the links to get to all of the pages on this site I thought it might be helpful to provide a link here to the old Product Test Page where all of my Product Reviews are. Some of them got lost some how and I've not written replacements like I should. Maybe one day. But all that we still have are here:

You can find the Old Product Test Page and all of my reviews at:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/product_test/index.shtml

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Curious1

• Trade Count: (0)
Product Test Page - Do It Yourself Brass Catcher
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:42:38 PM »
HOME-MADE  BRASS  CATCHER:  Semi-auto pistol, rifle and shotgun

A broad search for Brass Catchers led to a Graybeard link and photos of homemade catchers: http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/producttest/imagesBRASSC04.JPG 
by Rudy Smith, Spring 2000.  I was not able to access the article and photos through Gray Beard Outdoors, probably because it was ten years old.  It was helpful information and inspired a different approach to making my own brass catcher.  One photo also referred to something called Alpha Homemade Equipment Page, which sounds very interesting, but it does not appear in the current listings.

I went to Cabela's and purchased a Frabill Smelt Net with an 18 x 16 opening and a long, two-piece, extendable handle.  The Smelt net mesh is fine enough to catch .22 brass.  I removed the outer sleeve, cut off about 8" from the finished end, and drilled a new adjustment hole about 2" from the cut end of that short piece.  I then measured about 5" down from the adjustment button on the net frame and cut off most of the smaller diameter, long handle (which became scrap).

The short outer sleeve, with the new adjustment hole, can now be slid over the adjustment button to make a short handled net and the long outer sleeve can be used if you want a long handle on the net. I cut a 4x4x10" block of wood and cut a deep slot into one side with a circular saw, which slot is used to cradle the side of the short handle version of the catcher on the shooting bench.  I also drilled a snug hole through the same block that holds the small handle net straight up in the air while resting on the bench, which allows the shooter not firing from a rest to catch brass at that level.

The long outer sleeve can be slid onto the adjustment button with the other end attached to a tripod.  I removed my work light bar from its tripod and the adjustable tube of the tripod fit perfectly into the long tube of the fishnet.  The result is a very stable, adjustable platform to hold the tall version of the catcher when you stand up to shoot.

As a finishing touch, I had old, very lightweight ceiling fan blades and I laid one of these blades into the bottom of the net, which does a good job of holding the net away from its frame to make it easier for the brass to go in and stay in the catcher.  It is not essential to hold the bag open.  At the worst a few cases will hit the netting and fall straight down on the shooting bench or on the ground near you feet.

I think the original posting should be reprinted and my comments could appear as additional information.

By new member Curious1 January 12, 2010