Author Topic: 20ga ULSH  (Read 682 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
20ga ULSH
« on: December 15, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »
Hello everyone,
  I just installed a set of synthetic stocks on my ULSH. That and a Bushnell Holosight rounds the rig out to 6 lbs 0 oz. I really need to find a Sims Limbsaver pad for that Handi. I haven't shot it yet, but can only imagine :o

How are these shooting for everyone, could I expect USH accuracy?

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: 20ga ULSH
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:58:56 PM »
Dinny:   I put a slug gun together before the deer season from a 20 gauge Tracker ll barrel which I picked up on the classifieds, and from what I have read here, it is basically the same as the ULSH barrel but maybe with the old style rifling being the only difference.   I mounted it on my frame with a Boyds thumbhole stock, and added some lead to the back of the buttstock, mounted my scope, and a sling, and I estimate the gun weighs in at a little over eight pounds.

I've shot 3" Remington Buckhammers that grouped cloverleafs at 50 yards, and took two deer already, one at 40 yards, and the other at 65.

I've now switched over to Hornady SST's that shoot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards because I've seen a big buck now a couple times at about that range, and feel confident I can make the shot.

I really like this slug gun, and how it carries, as it is also a pleasure to shoot, and I compare the recoil to being between that of my .357 Maximum, and my .243 Ultra.

If the recoil is too harsh a little weight added to the stock will tame it really well, and you will like how it carries, as it won't weigh a ton like an USH would at the end of the day.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
Dinny:   I put a slug gun together before the deer season from a 20 gauge Tracker ll barrel which I picked up on the classifieds, and from what I have read here, it is basically the same as the ULSH barrel but maybe with the old style rifling being the only difference.   I mounted it on my frame with a Boyds thumbhole stock, and added some lead to the back of the buttstock, mounted my scope, and a sling, and I estimate the gun weighs in at a little over eight pounds.

I've shot 3" Remington Buckhammers that grouped cloverleafs at 50 yards, and took two deer already, one at 40 yards, and the other at 65.

I've now switched over to Hornady SST's that shoot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards because I've seen a big buck now a couple times at about that range, and feel confident I can make the shot.

I really like this shotgun, and how it carries, as it is also a pleasure to shoot, and I compare the recoil to being between that of my .357 Maximum, and my .243 Ultra.

If the recoil is too harsh a little weight added to the stock will tame it really well, and you will like how it carries, as it won't weigh a ton like an USH would at the end of the day.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

-Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:39:08 AM »
Hello everyone,
  I just installed a set of synthetic stocks on my ULSH. That and a Bushnell Holosight rounds the rig out to 6 lbs 0 oz. I really need to find a Sims Limbsaver pad for that Handi. I haven't shot it yet, but can only imagine :o

Thanks, Dinny
6lbs? I shot slugs and high brass out of my 20 gauge Tamer with adult syn stocks swapped in. Which is probably lighter. It is tolerable standing up, definitely AOK for hunting, 2 boxes off the bench, and I'm done. Wearing gloves helps me.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:56:47 AM »
Hello everyone,

Thanks, Dinny
6lbs? I shot slugs and high brass out of my 20 gauge Tamer with adult syn stocks swapped in. Which is probably lighter. It is tolerable standing up, definitely AOK for hunting, 2 boxes off the bench, and I'm done. Wearing gloves helps me.

Another great idea! I have the brass, but no way of reloading it right now. I'm gonna hold onto it until I get something figured-out. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »
Dinny mine shoots every bit as good a the USH . I used lots of added lead in the stock while sighting in the scope and shooting from the bench. I'm using the slip on Sims and it helps quite a bit when hunting and the lead is out of the stock. I think mine is maybe gonna hit the sale block after the holidays as I need to fund a new logsplitter and will be letting a few handi's go. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
Dinny I recently picked up a Tracker II 20ga from a member here on GBO. The only weight added was a scope rail and a 2X tru Glo red dot and one of the stock sleeves that holds 5 shells. The accuracy is amazing at 65 yards three shots look like two holes touching with the lightfield 2 3/4 and recoil is nothing more than a light nudge. First deer I took with it was doe at 70 yards broadside she went maybe 40 yards. The Saturday before last I was sitting in a hedge row over looking a recently combined corn field, I decided it was time to head back to the house stood up slung my gun over my shoulder and was clipping my butt pad to my belt loop when I noticed a coyote at the bottom of the little hill about 60 yards away standing broadside looking at me. He made the mistake of not running when I shouldered the Tracker II, and now there is one less coyote in my neck of the woods.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga