Author Topic: Bullet balls/poly  (Read 733 times)

Offline hunter280man

• Trade Count: (0)
Bullet balls/poly
« on: November 04, 2003, 03:16:43 PM »
Where can a fella find "bullet balls"  I know, I know,  corbins but are there any other ( cheeper) places or suppliers.   I've spent about 3 hours looking in 4 different search engines and my eyes are getting week. :(

Its either sex toys or Corbins and Corbins is loosing at a rate of more than 9-1! :wink:
The older I get the better I was!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Bullet balls/poly
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 06:47:15 PM »
try keywords: plastic balls, Nylon balls, Acetal balls, polypropylene balls, etc. Substitue with Sphere or beads occasionally.  I found an English firm making these things for industrial applications at the first go-round.  Have fun. 8)

Offline hunter280man

Bullet balls/poly
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 07:15:13 AM »
Fun...my head still hurts from last night! :shock:    Alright...I'll go back to square one...thanks Talon.

Offline hunter280man

Bullet balls/poly
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 03:57:05 AM »
Well,  I've located several in-state suppliers and several huge out of state.  

Now, what is the exact type of poly used in balls...My guess is Polypropelene.     Anyone know for sure? :?   Does it matter that much?

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Bullet balls/poly
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 04:23:13 AM »
The important characteristics are that they weigh less than lead (hopefully as close to zero as possible) and will not compress under swaging pressure. Being inexpensive would help. I've never used them myself, nor know anyone that has.  However, it would seem to me that if you intend to use them anywhere except at the bullet's nose, I would learn how to center the ball in the body before buying any. Centering would be easy if the ball's diameter were exactly the same as the ID of the unswaged jacket, but if were off center just a hair the bullet would probably not fly true. 8)

Offline hunter280man

Bullet balls/poly
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 05:08:39 AM »
Morning talon,   Yes I do intend to use them for the tip in a few styles of the larger calibers.    Since I've starting this thread have learned that the balls are made of a "linear polyethylene polymer"   Found this over @ Corbins after messing around with a search on the sight.....probably missed it several time before. :oops:    

But there may be a catch 22 here...theres a high and a low density.  As per one of the manufacturers tells me...?  

I left a e-mail with Dave and asked him if he knows the exact material used....?

So far I've gotten price quotes for as little as 12.90 per 1000 up to 29.00 per depending on the exact material.   I've ruled out anything over 22.00 so far. :P