Author Topic: Cases wobble when Trimming  (Read 711 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Cases wobble when Trimming
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:21:55 PM »
Are they sposta do that?
 I'm using once fired (from my gun) Factory Winchester 7-08 and 223 with the Lee depth/trim rod mounted in their cutter head and shell holder. I have it set-up with a slow moving cordless screwdriver.
 Am I getting the neck trimmed straight when they do that? I can run the mic over'm when each case is done, and if there is a differance it's hard to tell,,maybe .0005 +/-
found elsewhere

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Cases wabble when Trimming
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 01:42:37 AM »
No they are NOT supposed to wobble and no you are NOT cutting them straight if they do. My RCBS trimmer has started doing that as well. I called and they are sending me some parts to swap out to see if it fixes it and if not they say I'll need to return it to them. In my case it's making a huge pile of flashing on the outside of the cases that is a bear to remove. I'm about to the point of tossing the trimmer and going back to my Forster if it doesn't stop soon. For now the Forster is all I'm using until the parts arrive.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Autorim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 02:29:56 AM »
They should not wobble. I have never owned or used anything but my Forster and it always does a good job.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 03:27:02 AM »
I don't figure that it makes a whole lot of difference, the "wobble" should average out, but it is annoying as all get out, and I may consider a different case trimming machine also.  My old Lyman wobbles and creates a big burr on the outside of the case that is difficult to remove.  It's not supposed to wobble.

The finished case seems to be fairly even though.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 04:00:23 AM »
My RCBS started doing that but I also realized that I was putting too much pressure on that manual (yes manual) handle. Sent that cutting head back to RCBS and they sharpened it (Free) and it was back to it's old self.

For an RCBS trimmer, the recommendation is to mount it on a good hardwood board which I had done and it does seem to remove all play.

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
Re: Cases wobble when Trimming
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »
Make sure the pin in the trim length gauge/pilot is not bent. Also make sure your cases' flash holes are not off center.

I still use Lee for pistol brass (when I trim those, which isn't very often!), but I switched to an L.E. Wilson trimmer for rifle cartridges, and like it tons better. Not too expensive either. They have a power drive adapter for it too.

Andy

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »
Make sure you don't have bent rims on your cases . I had some 308 brass do the same and i use the lee trim tool . Its the only lee tool i use . Anyway they were some bent rims involved.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 01:03:41 PM »
I have a trim tool just like you described. I chuck the shell holder in a battery powdered drill, run on low speed. In addition to the pilot being bent and off center primer holes, you may not be getting the case into the shell holder all the way. Or you may have a burr on the inside of the shell holder preventing the case head from centering up. The case head must be centered to the holder that is on the drill and must be snugly in the shell holder. If I do not get the case all the way into the holder, it will wobble. It will wobble if the case goes off center while trimming too. If it moves in the shell holder, you must stop and recenter it. I recently bought a RCBS trimmer with the power attachment, it sure is sweet. I seriously doubt if I go back to the Lee Trimmer. Wobble is caused by something being off center. Double check every thing to make sure it is centered and that the case does not move in the shell holder while you are trimming. Wobbling is not good. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 01:28:40 PM »
I have several of the Lee trimmers and sometimes the shaft is slightly off which gives the appearance of a wobble.  I have one lock stud with a round shaft and another one with the hex shaft so it fits nicer in a power drive screw driver.  They both wobble to a degree, but the brass is cutting straight as long as your cutter and pilot are drifting with the wobble.  

On another note, I have had a pin on the pilot shaft bend and cause the cutter to wobble.  This WILL cause the brass to be cut a little crooked.  
On some of the Forster Trimmers and on some of the RCBS trimmer, the collet stud can bend with wear causing the brass to be held crooked compared to the pilot.  Replace the collet stud and the collet should realign to the pilot.  Also, a little wear in the cutter shaft can cause them to begin to wobble a little.  Takes lots of rounds to do this, or a few bad cutting sessions with the power drill option installed.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »
Like Laotto said.It only does it on some brass and some more than others? Reposition your brass in the shell holder.If that doesn't fix it then  maybe your brass or pilot are crooked.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 12:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the tips guy's,
 There was a gun show local today and I found 1 guy with a bunch of Lee loading stuff and told him my story, he smiled knowingly and gave me a demo, Once I got home I found my troubles.
1st. The shell holder wasn't snug in that power screwdriver, it's just a magnet fit socket for 1/4 hex. I solved that
      trouble with a new gadget the guy sold me for 15 called a Lee Zip Trim, clamp it to my bench, then git the shell init
      and pull a string, like a lawnmower start cord, to spin the shell, handy, he showed me how I can mark my bench and
      watch the shell spin to be sure it's straight.
2nd. As Laotto said it's me,,I have to get the shell all the way down in the holder for it to be centered proper. For some
       reason a few of the shells are still wobbling, perhaps that bent rim as chutesn~ mentioned,,I threw'm in the scrap
       bucket.

3rd. Again solved thanks to Laotto, the 223 shell holder DID have some litte piece of something stuck in there, picked it
       out with a dental pick and all is good, wasn't a burr, just some thing black and stuck!

And like GB said I was getting flashing at the neck, had ta steel wool to get it off,,,thanks guy's I'm a still a learnin'
found elsewhere